Best way to do a European Mount?

Submitted by Dave on 12/16/05 at 3:01 PM. ( wacd1@voicenet.com ) 207.103.93.243

What is the best way to do a European mount? Would like some advice if at all possible.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

There are several ways

This response submitted by Pirate on 12/16/05 at 3:51 PM. ( rwpirate@verizon.net ) 151.196.98.43

You can use beetles, boil or try maceration. All have advantages and disadvantages. Beetles don't damage the skull at all but you must know someone who has them or pay for the service. Boiling is the fastest and easiest but can cause damage to the skull and make teeth crack and fall out. Maceration doesn't do damage buts stinks real bad and time is determined by tempature. Once you get all of the meat off by one of the three meathods above I use regular old 3% peroxide and soak the skull to whiten. I have a pattern for the panel. I do my own woodwork and I'm done. European mounts are not that expensive. If you are just trying to save money then you might want to check prices. If you are looking for a project. Good Luck. If you want someone with beetles send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of my price list for different skulls.

The "Easiest" Way......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/16/05 at 4:37 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.14

....Is to BOIL it.

Easiest

This response submitted by John on 12/16/05 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

is to macerate the skull but it is stinky as hell. I macerate everything unless the customer wants it in a rush. I cook the skull in washing soda and dish soap for 2 to 3 hours and never ever had a problem with bone loss or chalky bone. I do however warn the customer that cooking the skull is not the best choice for there is a chance it will get ruined.

The Truth Is

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/17/05 at 12:11 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.58

The best and the easiest is to send it out to someone who does it with bugs.

If you are doing it for yourself, then cooking(NOT BOILING) very slowly is probably your best choice. Maceration works great when it's warm and you can keep it outside AND downwind. It's 10 degrees here right now, this is not an option for me except in the summer. Bugs are great if you can maintain a colony and have a good way of keeping them in a seperate building. I don't like the idea of having them anywhere near a mount of any kind.

That brings us back to cooking. If this is the only one you have to clean and don't want to send it out, then it's the easiest and most practical way for YOU to do it. Slow cooking or simmering the skull with frequent changes of water and constant cleaning of the loose material will get the job done. DO NOT over cook at too high a heat.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu