What glue to use?

Submitted by Steve-o on 12/17/05 at 8:20 PM. ( ) 24.163.141.101

Hi
I took in a deer that apparently had been recently rubbing a cedar tree with its antlers. There's a bunch of shredded bark stuck to the antlers near the bases and brow tines. Customer wants me to keep this stuff stuck to the antlers. I took the shredded wood off of the antlers and kept it in a bag while I caped and cleaned the antlers. That deer is now ready to mount and I can glue the stuff back onto the antlers. (I took a few good pictures to replicate how it originally looked.) I'm wondering what glue would work for this.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Steve

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

That's a no-no Steve

This response submitted by George on 12/17/05 at 8:37 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.12

Why did you take it off? Terrible move. The antlers could have been wiped clean and should have been. You can try white elmers glue, but you're in for trouble. The glue will dry clear but it will seal the cedar in and if the customer is looking for the smell, he'll be out of luck and very hot with you. The glue will also seal the antler and as the antler ages, you won't be able to paint the oils back into it. Eventually as the antler dries, the glue is going to scab up and fall off.

That's a no-no Steve

This response submitted by George on 12/17/05 at 8:39 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.12

Why did you take it off? Terrible move. The antlers could have been wiped clean and should have been. You can try white elmers glue, but you're in for trouble. The glue will dry clear but it will seal the cedar in and if the customer is looking for the smell, he'll be out of luck and very hot with you. The glue will also seal the antler and as the antler ages, you won't be able to paint the oils back into it. Eventually as the antler dries, the glue is going to scab up and fall off.

not so bad

This response submitted by Clay Chapman on 12/17/05 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 69.88.206.196

Use super glue I had a similar problem, it worked grate. Good luck

I'd also go with super glue if ..

This response submitted by Randy Martin on 12/18/05 at 2:00 PM. ( ) 65.19.234.25

the customer wants the bark on. I brush clean the antlers with hot water & soap then I wipe with acetone after they have dried to remove sap that will usually turn white if left on the antler. This leaves them squeaky clean and doesn't take away any color. It is amazing how black the cloth can get from Elk antlers.

Fin Backing cream

This response submitted by Jim on 12/19/05 at 5:18 AM. ( ) 24.113.81.77

How about fin backing brush it on place the bark back its clear. Just an Idea

Thanks

This response submitted by Steve-o on 12/19/05 at 10:20 AM. ( ) 69.21.143.94

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. I only removed the stuff because most of it was right at the base of the antlers on the burrs. In order to clean the skull plate properly it was necessary to remove the stuff without ruining it. Looking forward to trying this.

Steve

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu