hair slippage on deer's muzzle

Submitted by Mike on 12/19/05 at 9:06 PM. ( ) 151.205.34.27

I have been mounting a few deer heads for friends, just am learning as I go. I have had this problem twice now and am not really sure what caused it.
On the deer's muzzle I have about a bald spot the size of a quarter. I think I caused this from pushing to hard getting the hide over the form. Do you think that is what caused it or could it have been something else I did.
Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Yea!

This response submitted by John on 12/19/05 at 10:27 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

stop being so hard on the skin! You shouldn't have to force the muzzle on the form.

agreed

This response submitted by bob on 12/20/05 at 7:21 AM. ( RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM ) 205.188.116.136

mike,
when i first started doing deer, i had the same problem, only the spot above the eye. i agree with john, be gentle, you shouldnt have to pull hard at all on the muzzle. but what was causing my slippage was having the skin too wet too long. after washing, I wrap tightly in a towel. take it out and put it in another towel skin side out. i havent had slippage on a hide, that was properly handled in the feild since. remember tho as john said be gentle there is no need to pull the muzzle. if you have to i would guess your form isnt the right size. good luck.
bob

Mike

This response submitted by Paul on 12/20/05 at 8:12 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.186

All hair and skin will slip or pull out when it is in a wet condition. You have to be gentle and careful on how you handle the cape, all the way through the whole process. Be careful when pushing in ear liners, or adjusting the ear butts, as the back of the ear is a soft skin spot that can be pushed off just like the problem you have now. Bob is right to remove as much moisture out of the hair side before mounting, this will help in less soft spots showing up.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu