Drying time

Submitted by kevin on 12/21/05 at 9:04 AM. ( ) 69.210.19.180

How long are most of you letting your deer shoulder mounts dry before finishing. i spin mine in washing machine ( don't tell my wife) then tumble before mounting.
Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Depends

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/21/05 at 9:21 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

A minimum of one week regardless of the humidity content in the air. If it is very humid or in the winter when it is colder, I wait sometimes two weeks or even three. Just check your deer every day and you'll be able to tell when the hide has dried completely.

Around Here.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/21/05 at 10:15 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.69

......They dry TOO fast in the winter. Right now our air temp outside is 10 degrees, and the humidity is VERY low. I mount mine, let it sit a day for checking and then bag the heads in plastic to slow the drying and let the glue set without the hide pulling away and drumming. I use clay in my earbutts, when the clay dries hard the rest of the deer is usually dry, too. The same applies in the summer, except the humidity is MUCH higher and the clay takes longer to dry, as does the rest of the head. I don't need the bag then!

Evaporation will also give you an idea of the dryness, although this works best with fish. When a mount is drying the moisture is evaporationg and cooling the mount. Touch the neck of a freshly mounted deer and compare it to one that has been done for a much longer time. You will notice the difference. When you think everything is dry, give it a couple more days to be sure.

You will just have to learn with time, all the little tricks to determining the dryness of your mounts. If in doubt give it a bit more time.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu