Tucking the lips on a closed-mouth deer mount.

Submitted by Steve-o on 12/22/05 at 1:16 PM. ( ) 69.21.143.94

Hi
I've been doing lots of reading in the archives, but would just like to see if anyone had any specific tips or tricks when it comes to the corners of the mouth on a closed-mouth deer mount. My mounts have been getting better and better over the last few years and I need to perfect the corners of the mouth. It seems that I usually have too much skin left when I get to the corners and by the time I get done tucking the corners are a little 'puffy' and the hair sometimes sticks straight out. Any tips to get the hair to lay correctly would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

cut skin

This response submitted by Jim on 12/22/05 at 1:25 PM. ( ) 24.220.53.240

What works for me is taper your lip skin down to almost nothing at he corner of the mouth. Also make your lip slot a little past the corner on the manikins mouth and make it a little wider.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Lips

This response submitted by Marc R on 12/22/05 at 1:27 PM. ( cftaxidermy@alltel.net ) 71.30.71.135

My first question would be, are you thinning or splitting them all the way out? If so, is your lip slot big and deep enough? Are you leaving too much skin to tuck? I use my lip tucking tool to open my slot, after I score it with a knife. Make sure you angle it properly while doing this or it won't lay or look right. At the corners I do deeper and wallow it out a bit at an angle towards the head. I guess the easiest way to explain it, other than showing you, would be to say, I sort of make a small pocket in the form behind the corners of the mouth to accept the hide, while keeping the slot minimal. Otherwise your skin won't want to stay OR lay properly.

Jim

This response submitted by Marc R on 12/22/05 at 1:28 PM. ( ) 71.30.71.135

You beat me to it while I was typing, and in a whole lot less words. Yeah what he said.

Except......

This response submitted by Marc R on 12/22/05 at 1:30 PM. ( ) 71.30.71.135

......for the "taper next to nothing" part. I always leave plenty of skin. It's easier to trim what you don't need, then to try and grow some more if you take to much off!

I also

This response submitted by John Morley on 12/22/05 at 2:11 PM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

Start at the front - tucking a little ways around the side, then I move to the corner tuck the corner and tuck moving forward until I meet up to where I tucked from the front. Boy - that sounds allot more complicated than it is.
www.e-zstand.com

Simple physics

This response submitted by George on 12/22/05 at 2:37 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

Two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time. Most of us cut the slip slots up and back to the corner, never taking into consideration that the lip TURNS that corner. I do as Jim says and actually cut the corner off, but if you are going to leave it, take your lip tool and open up the BACK of the mouth so the lip will have someplace to go.

Excellent advice.

This response submitted by Steve-o on 12/22/05 at 3:15 PM. ( ) 69.21.143.94

Thanks.
That all makes sense. I knew it would seem simple to more experienced taxidermists. I'll keep working at it until I get it perfect. I've attended a few seminars on deer, but have never seen a shoulder mount done by someone else from start to finish. I've learned eye setting and ear butts pretty well. Some day I'll have to take in a class or seminar just to see how other people arrive at the same finished product.
Thanks again,
Steve

JOHN MORELY said it

This response submitted by Brad on 12/23/05 at 8:35 AM. ( ) 4.254.118.245

Do what he said.. Thats what Dennis Rinehart does and Salli Dahmes

Just think of how your own lips curves...

This response submitted by Craig on 12/23/05 at 10:10 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

back into your mouth at the corners. That's the angle of the slot at this point in the lip line.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu