Taxidermist Set the EARS wrong on my trophy.

Submitted by Yooper on 12/23/05 at 12:21 PM. ( ) 4.254.118.245

I had brought a Beautiful 9 pointer to a taxidermist that had taken the classes offered by Dennis Rinehart. I told him i wanted a FULL SNEAK pose.

I went to drop some money off the other day and he has the ears set to the Alert position Straight out and forward. Aren't the FULL SNEAKS supposed to be laid backwards?

It just don't look right they way he has it..

Is there anyway when i get it back and more experience that i can soak it and reposition the ears?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

tell him to fix it

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 12/23/05 at 12:38 PM. ( ) 216.108.218.75

Its not un-natural to see ears forward in a full sneak pose. The buck is sneaking around and looking and winding. If your looking for an aggressive look then ears should be rotated back,and eyes set accordingly. Full sneak decribes the position of the neck and head not an aggressive look, that I think you are looking for.
You should have your taxidermist fix it to the way you want it, your paying him for that. Keep in mind you were not 100% clear on your instructions, an additional fee may come along with it.

Yeah...

This response submitted by Brad on 12/23/05 at 12:42 PM. ( ) 4.254.118.245

your right I wasn't clear.. I assumed.. and you know what that makes you and me..

I'll just take it the way he did it.. I just thought he was gonna do it the other way..

Ignorance is no excuse.

Ignorance and

This response submitted by Marc R on 12/23/05 at 4:07 PM. ( CapeFear ) 71.28.113.168

Stupidity Should Be Painful! Just kidding, sorry I couldn't help myself. Next time be sure to discuss your desired pose thoroughly with your taxidermist. Sorry this one didn't turn out like you wanted. Just think life could be worse. At least your safe, healthy, and home for the holidays with your loved ones. Minor problems and inconviences in our lives, pale in comparison to the sacrifices others are making right this very minute. Kind of puts things in a different perspective if you think about it. Remember to keep our soldiers in your thoughts and prayers that aren't as fortunate to be home with their loved ones this year. Have a Merry Christmas anyway. Marc R "Rakassan"

i agree

This response submitted by Yooper Brad on 12/23/05 at 4:52 PM. ( ) 70.224.226.113

with you %100

Paul

This response submitted by B on 12/23/05 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Ears back is not necessarily a sign of aggression in the whitetail. Especially in the sneak position. Often when a deer sneaks. it holds its ears back to listen to what it is sneaking away from. But you are right, a deer is apt to have its ears in any position in any given pose.

I hate to say it...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 12/23/05 at 9:29 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I have done lots of full sneek deer with the ears forward both at my request and at the request of my customers. Most of the time when I ask how they want the ears they say "I don't care... What ever looks best". So it is normaly whatever I see fit. Sorry your mount didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.

Joe

That's a good reason for taxidermists to...

This response submitted by Craig on 12/23/05 at 10:46 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

have live pictures of deer or the pictures from McKenzies of mounted deer so the customer can make an educated choice of how he wants his mount to look. I won't ask how much you are paying this guy for a mount that doesn't fit your taste. It sounds like you talked to him and since he had the ears already set he talked you into keeping them that way even though deep down it really isn't what you want. Communication is important in all business transactions, both from the client and the taxidermist. This communication should originate from the taxidermist as he is the one that supposedly knows the trade and is selling the product.

mr B

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 12/24/05 at 12:48 AM. ( ) 216.108.218.195

try reading it again. lol merry christmas.

Paul

This response submitted by B on 12/24/05 at 3:10 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

I was not trying to say you were wrong. But you mentioned an aggressive look twice. Which made me think you were implying that the ears back indicated Aggression. For those who have not viewed many deer in the pen. or references. I just wanted to point out that was not always the case.
I once told someone a general rule of thumb was the top eye lid of a bobcat should just touch the pupal. Somehow in the individuals mind the general rule became absolute and I was sorry I ever made the statement. with so many options available for deer I think that every beginner should understand the expression, and communication associated with them. The more someone knows about deer the better they can reproduce one. But hey I am but a beginner myself. so it is entirely posable I may be mistaken.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu