Hair slippage

Submitted by bob on 12/24/05 at 10:40 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.6

I have a deer on the wall that has dried for 2 weeks now. just took it down to paint and clean up. as i was doing this i noticed that some of the hair is slipping when very lightly grooming. i lightly pulled on other hairs on the rest of the deer, and found the same thing. i didnt have any trouble with slippage when i mounted it, and have never had this before. i always use the same process,so i didnt do anything different. does anyone of you experts out there know if there is anything i can use now that the skin is dry to stop this loose hair problem? someone had told me to mist it with alcohol, but i would think that would only assist in the initial drying. any ideas would be muchly appreciated.
thanks in advance
bob

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

stop rot

This response submitted by michael p. on 12/25/05 at 12:24 AM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

and glen conley? i know i'm not answering your question, but it's an experiment made in heaven.

More info needed

This response submitted by Cliffords Taxidermy on 12/25/05 at 4:35 AM. ( Cliffordstaxidermy.com ) 207.69.137.22

How did you process the hide ? Meaning what tan did you use ? Did you pickle ? Salt it to dry ? My first guess if you did do all of the above is that it is not totally dry. 2 weeks drying time in a normal room temp enviromemnt is not enough. Also if you did not give it a good rinse to rid the salt out of it after tanning, this will collect moisture and prevent the hide from totally drying which will make th hair pull out like you described.

People may think I am nuts, but I place all of my deer mounts above the wood stove after mounting for final drying. I use LutanF from WASCO and have had great results.

You're right, Clifford. I think you're nuts.

This response submitted by George on 12/25/05 at 11:06 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

No hide needs that kind of dry heat and a freshly mounted one needs to dry slowly.

Now to bob. THAT'S NOT SLIPPAGE. That's hair pulling out. STOP GROOMING IT. I suspect you use Dry Preservative (DP) and that's a prime concern until the hide actually DRIES. If you stop pulling, that will happen and the hair will lock in. I'd almost bet the hair was falling free in the lower neck and brisket area. If that's the case, hang the mount upside down and allow the moisture to move down the neck so the brisket can dry quicker.

dam george is right again

This response submitted by bob on 12/25/05 at 3:45 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

thanks george. your right once more. i always use dp and alwayshave great results. 2 weeks usualy do the trick. it has been a little more humid here in mi. as for grooming, all i was doing was very light grooming before painting. when i noticed the hair pulling out i stoped. i willleave it longer to dry and see what happens. and yes it is in the briskit and neck i see tthe most of it. thanks again george for the help.
bob

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu