Bunching skin under chin?

Submitted by Andy on 12/27/05 at 11:18 PM. ( pse141@yahoo.com ) 65.162.47.67

Im having a problem once in a while with alot of skin bunching up under the jaw of my deer mounts. Right were the jaw turns down at the white patch. When I try to pull it down the ears wantto come down. A couple things im wondering about am I mounting my ears to high, building my brain fill to high making the back of the head to square pulling more skin to the back of the head and ordering my forms a little big?

Help?

Thanks

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Hmmm, let's see?

This response submitted by Hogger on 12/28/05 at 4:15 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

Are you having problems closing the stitches on the back of the head? If that is the case then you may be building your brian fill too high and/or wide. Check reference pictures for ear positioning. If your mannikin is too big I think you'd have more problems getting the skin to fit in other places as well. My guess, since you said this is happening only once in a while, is that you are only taking one neck measurement, probably at the small of the neck mostly known as the "C" measurement. You need your "B" and "D" measurements as well sounds like. I think you're ordering mannikins too big in the "B" measurement although the "C" measurement is jiving with your cape. Mannikins come in rut, pre-rut, light sweel, medium swell, full swell type necks. If the mannikin you use doesn't specify all these measurements, then try one that does until you figure it out. Or you could be going just a little too big on the neck of your mannikin? Do you have trouble with the briskets riding high? Tight chest fits? Just my hunch.

Usually because of the ear butts aren't set properly

This response submitted by George on 12/28/05 at 8:58 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

That, coupled with setting the antlers too far rearward. If you build up your earbutts properly, the skin, including those nifty 3 or 4 folds in front of each ear in the alert position take up any "extra" hide. Check the archives for information on correcting the problem.

Thanks

This response submitted by andy on 12/28/05 at 9:59 AM. ( pse141@yahoo.com ) 206.230.106.209

Thanks, Im not having any problem sewing up any part of the cape and mostly my brisket never ride high. If anything I place my antlers to far forward. I think I need to pay more attention two my measureing and brain fill.

I measure my cape after being skinned, giving it a good stretch and measuring at the ears and 3inches below. I think that would be fine? I know some guys measure around the neck meat after skinning, but if the deer has been hung that would be more slender.

Thanks For all your help!

Andy, never EVER do that

This response submitted by George on 12/28/05 at 12:16 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

Measuring a green skin is like a mailorder bride. You NEVER know what the true facts are until it's too late.

A green skin will stretch like a rubber bedsheet and each time you stretch it widthwise, you shorten up the brisket area. Just like me trying to get on a large T-shirt. Oh it fits at the shoulders, but I don't think my bellybutton was supposed to be exposed. Measure the DEER. There's discussion for before and after skinning, but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS measure the deer. You only measure a cape AFTER it's been completely tanned.

You Didn't Say.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/28/05 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.107

.....What methof of preservation was used on your capes OR the forms you are using. Both can be contributing factors to your problem. I do believe, as George stated, you are measuring your capes WRONG!

Measuring correctly!

This response submitted by Andy on 12/29/05 at 8:42 AM. ( pse141@yahoo.com ) 206.230.106.209

Im basically use McKenzie forms and getting my skins tanned commercially. The way I measure them is the way I was taught at Taxidermy school! I have come to find out of the last couple of years that a large majority of the things I learned in that are completley wrong! I feel that I was pushed threw the school for profit not to be a good Taxidermist!

How would you suggest that I measure my capes? After they are tanned and or around the neck (meat area)?

You all have been a big help!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu