Salt solution

Submitted by gerry on 12/28/05 at 8:01 AM. ( kebees4@yahoo.com ) 24.123.243.44

I forgot the step of the salt solution. I salted for 2 days then accidentally went into pickle bath. I am tanning Krotan 2000. Will this create a problem. I had both ready and tubs got moved and I put into wrong tub. Didn't notice until I went to move deer cape around. I felt realy dumb.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Gerry

This response submitted by John Morley on 12/28/05 at 8:38 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

Did you read the Krowtan instructions? You don't need to salt the hide with this product. You also do not need to pickle it. Those are 2 of the advantages of Krowtann. Don't make it tougher than it really is.

I assume the salt solution you are talking about is the rehydration step? If so, you are going to have a tough time with the hide when it comes to thinning it. I would suggest taking from the pickle and soaking it in a salt water solution for a few hours. It's going to be tough to rehydrate but any little bit will help.

rehydration

This response submitted by Gerry on 12/28/05 at 11:57 AM. ( ) 24.123.243.44

Wouldn't it rehydrate in the pickle? I just been adding the extra steps to be sure I don't create extra problems. I just recently stopped using DP on my capes.

Gerry

This response submitted by John Morley on 12/28/05 at 12:57 PM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

If you follow the directions you will not have problems. I doubt the skin was flint hard after just 2 days, so you are probably ok.

John

This response submitted by Gerry on 12/28/05 at 3:13 PM. ( ) 24.123.243.44

Thanks for your imput. I just do a couple dozen heads a year for friends and family. I have been doing it for about 15-20 years. I am no expert at it. I enjoy doing it as a hobby. I have a friend that does it full time and that is too much work for me.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu