could'nt find it in the archives

Submitted by Luther on 12/28/05 at 12:44 PM. ( ) 206.74.88.98

Was looking for alternates to sal-soda for boiling skulls in the archives and saw that someone used hardwood ash for boiling skulls.
Does it work?
Would like a little more info on this method if anybody has any experience with it.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Oh, it'll work, but don't use it.

This response submitted by George on 12/28/05 at 1:07 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

Luther, it truly is in there, but probably hidden under some other postings. Sal Soda is sodium carbonate or in it's unrefined, crude form, soda ash. It is a common chemical used in most clothes washing powders. The ash of hardwoods forms a slightly diffent chemical. It forms sodium hydroxide or lye or caustic soda. It is a much stronger alkali and if you use it in boiling a skull, you need to be super careful as it will deteriorate the bone much faster than sal soda. Personally, I warn everyone against using either. Simmering may take longer, but it won't destroy bone tissue like both those you spoke of.

Luther

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 12/28/05 at 1:07 PM. ( J32a@aol. com ) 152.163.100.132

I have way to much sal soda here if you want some, I will give it to you. I also am going to mount only one of my bobcats if you want the other you can have it as well. You will have some repairs if you take it or it would be good for a ped. mount. Let me know. I not going to throw it out if you don't want it I will save it till later.

Arm and Hammer washing soda

This response submitted by DaveT on 12/28/05 at 1:17 PM. ( ) 24.32.86.13

If you have to boil/simmer your horns you can use A&H washing soda. There are other ways.

DaveT

Thanks fellas

This response submitted by Luther on 12/29/05 at 1:54 PM. ( ) 206.74.88.188

Thanks for the info on that George! you just saved me from one hell of a mess, cause I was gonna "test" it out later today.

Hey, Joey don't trow it out,I'll take it. I have had several cats given to me this year but none that I want to cut up for a pedistal mount.Give me a call when you get a minute, and we'll make arrangements to finish those fish after the kids go back to school!

Thanks for the response Dave, I use the A&H powder too.
How much do you use when you simmer? I think I may be useing too much cause I almost need hip-waders to get thru all the sudds!LOL

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu