WT horns cut for transportation

Submitted by Aaron on 12/28/05 at 7:05 PM. ( astaehnke@hotmail.com ) 12.73.132.32

Quick question for ya all...I had a guy just drop off 2 sets of WT antlers that are cut right in half. When you put them together they match up (the skull plate is still there). What is the best way to join the two together? Epoxy, or do you have to wire them? Any help would be great! Thanks, Aaron

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Here is a tip

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 12/28/05 at 7:35 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

There are alot of ways to do it from wireing to screws an bondo. Check in the (oh crap should I even dare say) Archives. But really there is alot of good stuff in there you should decide what would work better for you. Hit the orange button and then type repairing broken skull plates. Besides you didn't say what you wanted to do with them once they are repaired.

The way I would do it is drill a few screws in each side from the brain cavity(sp) leaving the heads out some. then fill the brain side with bondo maybe adding some resin and chopped fiberglass. I would mix it hot so it would kick fast and I would just hold them in place. For larger game like Elk I think George told me to use some metal strips to tie the two halves together, then fill. I would have to look in the archives or my notes to decide for sure what he told me to do. you could wire together for ease before filling, then cut the wire off later.

sholder mounts

This response submitted by Aaron on 12/28/05 at 7:54 PM. ( astaehnke@hotmail.com ) 12.73.132.80

Thanks for the advise, I will look at the search button for a while. They are going to be sholder mounts

CUT SKULL PLATE

This response submitted by DEAN on 12/28/05 at 7:55 PM. ( ) 24.175.120.117

The way I do it is with fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth, just a couple layers of cloth and resin and the repair is stronger than the origional bone.

fiberglass resin

This response submitted by aaron on 12/28/05 at 9:56 PM. ( astaehnke@hotmail.com ) 12.73.130.61

Where do you get fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth? Also do you put that on the top and bottom? Is it fast setting so you dont have to sit and hold it?

Get it at the auto parts store

This response submitted by STeve Collins on 12/28/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 69.139.191.81

You can also get bondo there too. I would put the resin on top and you can fill the bottom with bondo once you have the antlers attached during the mounting process.

glass and cloth

This response submitted by Mr.T on 12/28/05 at 10:59 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.138

You can find at auto parts store, or Home Depot. Take the time to do it right. Mixing hot sometimes cracks the glass. Let it do its thing. Find a square of foam insulation sheet board. Jam the tines of both sides in to it so the inside of the cap is on top. This will hold them for you while you glass them up. Take tin foil and lay underneath the cap, fold over the top edge slightly. This is to catch and glass that leaks through. Wet the inside of the skull with glass resin, and a small square of cloth/matt, with a stiff junk brush, dab all the air bubbles out, add a little layer of glass, another layer of cloth/matt, dab the air out of that, let it cure. A light bulb to warm it slightly will help it kick.

Here's my way.

This response submitted by Paul on 12/29/05 at 6:50 PM. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.39.44.95

get yourself some fast set 2 part epoxy. The 90 second Epo-Grip or similar works fine. After mixing place on both sides of cut joint and hold together. I also drill some small holes on each side of the cuts for strenght first. Best is upside down letting the tines sit on the table holding itself up. After it has set mix some more epoxy, any kind will do, 5 minute set, and fill the skull plate pocket enough to reinforce the cut plate. After it has dried set your antlers on the form with bondo, screw in and done. This is the easiest way I have found, no stinkin fiberglass resin, no drilling and wiring. Fast, easy, and strong.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu