Doe Forms Too Small

Submitted by Matt on 12/29/05 at 11:58 AM. ( ) 208.193.163.250

I just got a big doe tanned and I am currently looking for a form for it. After the McKenzie Tan I measured A:7, B:18.5, C:18. I cannot find a form that big for a doe, so I am wondering if I measured it correctly. When measuring the eye to nose I used a calipers and for the measurements below teh ears I used a tape measure to measure the outside around the hair. Is this the correct way to do it since I did not make a dorsal cut up the back. Or do I have to buy a buck form to that measurement and sand down the neck to fit? By the way this is a mature whitetail doe from Iowa, a very large deer.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

doe cape

This response submitted by hunter22 on 12/29/05 at 12:07 PM. ( hnuter22@frontiernet.net ) 67.137.180.175

You could use a buck form they do sell caps. You will have to modify
the form some i did the same thing last year.I would remeasure it again i do know Van Dykes sells some larger doe forms but try to be as sure as your measurements as possible good luck and check all the taxidermy supply companies that you can.

tube cape?

This response submitted by Mr.T on 12/29/05 at 12:20 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.8

is it tubed? no dorsal cut correct? Turn it inside out and measure the skin, not over the hair. A doe sould only be 15 or 16 tops behind the ears.

Doe forms

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 12/29/05 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 67.76.40.161

Mr T is right. If you are measuring your deer BEFORe yo skin them and then look at the forms you will be way off. I would say subtract 2" from your neck behind the ears measurement . See if McKenzie's has one well, I've got the book right here open..hmm lookes like 15 and 16 so you could go with the biggest then. Or I have done a buck with a narrow neck and used styrofoam to make a cap for the skull. It looked pretty good.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu