Tumbling deer hides

Submitted by Scott on 1/15/06 at 9:29 PM. ( ) 208.4.164.138

I already searched the archives and really did not find a clear answer. I use the auto tanner and was wondering if I should tumble the hides before mounting or not. What are the advantages/disadvantages of tumbling or should I just spin them in the washer to get the water out and then mount them. Thanks for any help you could give me.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

yes or no

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/16/06 at 12:26 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.90

If you oil the cape after the tan, and let it wick in, you will have excess oil that can be removed by tumbling in sawdust. It is best to remove as much water out of the cape before mounting; a soggy spot will be prone to manual slip if you taxi by hand. A washing machine will work to remove water, and if you wrap it in towels after the spin, you will remove even more water, then if you tumble in sawdust after the towels, you will remove even more water, and the hair will feel almost dry and fluffy, and the epidermis will be dryer and a little more durable for the taxiing on the form. You can spin and mount, and get done faster, I prefer a dryer cape to play with. So the advantage is a dryer cape, the disadvantage is that it adds time to the project.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu