Big deer heads

Submitted by Jeff F. on 4/1/06 at 2:06 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.132

It seems my usual suppliers deer heads have gotten smaller or something and it's been causing me some extra work getting things lined up. I'm also not as happy as I could be with ear placement as a result. I believe I heard that Ben Mears forms are a little bigger in the head region. Is this correct and is there another form someone might recommend? I am learning to take better measurements before caping so I can predict these things. Guess I should have taken better notes in Rick Carters seminar but his measuring system was very intricate. Peace. Jeff F.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Hilton Eppley Forms

This response submitted by Matt on 4/1/06 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 207.69.139.139

That's one you will not be disappointed in. Just try one, if you don't like it, move on.

Jeff

This response submitted by Justin Best on 4/1/06 at 11:42 PM. ( mrjwbest@yahoo.com ) 64.33.136.35

Jeff, I just mounted a northern Wi whitetail on a Mears form today, and I also had extra skin in the face.
I believe it's my own fault though, since he sells a line of forms for big headed deer, and I didn't get that particular line.
If you get a Mears, you need the SUO line (semi upright offset), which are supposed to have a bigger head, and bigger shoulders for a better fit on northern deer.
I will try one on my next mount, since other than a little extra in the face, and having a difficult time getting the ears aligned, the mount looks great now that it's done.

Matt...

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 4/2/06 at 1:22 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.139

For the record...The one drying now is on one of Hilton's. Very nice form, but still a lot of work to make things "work". My best mount yet but I still had to do a lot to make it happen. I'm not the master but far beyond "The Rookie". Peace.

I wondered if there was...

This response submitted by Chad on 4/2/06 at 10:26 PM. ( ) 64.24.197.95

... a difference in forms. I have used only rinehart with preset eyes. I have a WT that measures 7 1/2 x 15 where in the world will I find a form to fit that? Also which catolog carries the hilton forms.

Preset eyes?

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 4/3/06 at 12:02 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.139

Why cheat yourself? And your customer for that matter. Hilton's forms can be found at hiltoneppleyforms.com

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu