matching antler color on repairs

Submitted by john on 4/1/06 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.7

I have checked the arcs and I am still hoping for some reasurance. I recently repaired a broken main beam. I glued in a wire for the repair, used epoxy clay to sculpt, and then finished the texture with Epo-Grip. I have tried a couple of different stains; however, I have yet to get the colors to match to my satisfaction. I am working on a Blacktail deer rack and the colors are a dark redish brown. The only other thing I have read is to paint the entire set of antlers with a Krylon berber color and then stain. If this works please let me know. If it does, or you have any other proven suggestions please let me know. Thank you in advance, John!

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

John, sometimes you have to think outside the box

This response submitted by George on 4/2/06 at 9:06 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.72

When I have a repair that ends up as you describe, I accept that I won't be able to match the REPAIR perfectly, so then I stain the antler itself. I use potassium permanganate and in my opinion, it beats all the other "stains" hands down.

More outside the box thinking

This response submitted by Hogger on 4/3/06 at 6:36 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

John, stains aside, sometimes airbrushing the affected area blends things in as well. Mix and match your paints if necessary. Start with black umber.

color matching

This response submitted by Eric on 4/3/06 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 12.109.70.113

You will find that it may be easier to start over unless the antlers that was fixed starts out white you will find that color matching will be difficult at best. I always precolor the epoxy white before sculpting with white oil color paints. Texture as usual and then color with these colors: burnt seinna, black, yellow ochre and mars red (oil colors)and by using laquer thinner as a mixing medium you will be able to easily and perfectly match any type of antlers colors that you have to match. If you want a detailed description of this call me @ 217-469-2830 late mornings, I work a second shift job and I am answering this on lunch break.

Color Matching Antlers

This response submitted by Dave W. on 4/14/06 at 10:12 AM. ( ) 4.248.37.221

I have workd out a system that works great for me. If you use white to do your repairs you are having to use whatever staining method from the outside surface of the antler to blend the colors. My method uses epoxie sculpt mixed to match the bone color. Since each set of antlers is different in color this method gives me a great base color then I use a little stain to blend the color up from the antler burr.

Start with apoxie sculpt natural, the greenish color. I have tried white but this is too bright to start with you need a nuetral color to work up from. Then use powdered tempera paints in white, sienna, yellow, black, and red. I start by mixing my ball of epoxie and make sure you mix a bit more than you will need so you don't have to try to mix and match a second batch.Add the colors a little at a time starting with white and adding the other colors in a bit at a time. Check against the antler(ie. around the tip which shows the true bone color). Once you match the color wrap around the wire and sculpt the antler add texture as needed and finish by smoothing the transitions between the epoxie and the antler. After it dries I use some water based stain and brush it on blending up from the burrs dark to light then I wipe it off with a damp towel lightening it as needed.

This takes a little practice but works great you will be happy with the results as well as your customers. I worked in the sign business for 20 years and had plenty of practice mixing colors but with the colors I called out you should always be able to hit your color with practice. Good luck!

Dave

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu