salted cape still a little red from blood

Submitted by Aaron on 4/4/06 at 7:59 PM. ( astaehnke@hotmail.com ) 71.51.156.78

I have salted my deer hide, it was real bloody anyways, and fleshed it down, but it still has that red tint to it. Is this ok or normal? Also how long untill they are suppose to get "cardboard" dry? I live in Minnesota weather around 50 degrees. I have them hanging over a 2x4 between some sawhorses. Any help would be great.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

The hide will turn

This response submitted by Greg on 4/4/06 at 8:23 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

white when you pickle it.

dont

This response submitted by lee on 4/4/06 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 68.238.143.218

worry about the blood, if fleshed well it should be hard in 24 hrs.

Dont need cardboard dry

This response submitted by RQ on 4/4/06 at 9:32 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.12

if you are going to pickle it, just follow product mfg. instructions. Like Greg said it will turn white when its pickled

Tannery

This response submitted by aaron on 4/4/06 at 10:41 PM. ( astaehnke@hotmail.com ) 71.51.156.78

Hide is going to the tannery. Dose it still need to be hard? I have had it hanging and it is not cardboard hard yet

Brush off the first salt application

This response submitted by Hogger on 4/4/06 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

Then re-apply new salt and hang to dry. Run a fan on it. If you have a dehumidifier that would help. The red stain is not a big deal if this is for a mount unless the red is where the thin hair under the armpits are.In which case the stain might show through. There are blood removers available for that. Pickling will not remove the stain. It will only turn it from red to brown. And the blood removal should be done prior to pickling as these components are of a high PH and need to be treated to the lower PH of a pickle immediately after treating to avoid slippage. I tan my own hides so I cant say with much authority, but I believe you'd need to get the hide dried out well before shipping to a tannery.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu