Deer head in the freezer

Submitted by Nicolas B on 4/5/06 at 12:20 PM. ( ) 64.18.183.166

A customer brought to me a deer cape from november hunting (head not skinned)left in the freezer without plastic bag.

I firstly skin the deer but there are freezer burn in the ears tip and in other places.

Do you think that this cape could rehydrate well in the tanning process?

Is it possible to get hair slippage or something else wrong where are the freezer burns?

(sorry for my bad english)

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Anything is possible..

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 4/5/06 at 12:35 PM. ( ) 70.60.232.65

but I have had it too. Turn it as far as you can, try injecting with water to soften. If you can't turn it all the way, do it in the pickle. Hope it helps

Nicolas,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 4/5/06 at 1:18 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.115.37

Copy and paste the link below, taxidermy is in a new millenium.

www.hidetanning.net/FreezerBurnedCape.html

It will be fine

This response submitted by curtis wilson on 4/5/06 at 2:08 PM. ( ) 163.248.194.245

I have done several deer and antelope that people have just put in their freezers and brought in later. I have had a few of the same problems you have and have never had a problem with then after tanned. Turn everthing as much as possible and then finish after tan is complete.

here's how i just did it

This response submitted by terryr on 4/6/06 at 1:27 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

bot a wolverine that was tanned but lips not split at all - called Jonas and they gave me these instructions - lips were like concrete - used Knobloch's relaxr - mix a 50-50 mix of relaxr and hot water and paint on area to be turned - i bagged and let set for 2 hours - paint it on again - start splitting as far as you can - paint it on again - keep doing this over and over till splitting is done - turned out just like it should have been done to start with - the Jonas answer man is FANTASTIC

Thanks

This response submitted by Nicolas B on 4/6/06 at 11:30 AM. ( ) 64.18.183.166

Very good information, thanks everybody...

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu