antler discoloration indoors?

Submitted by JoeyinMN on 4/6/06 at 4:54 PM. ( Hunter41162@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

I have noticed that (some) deer we have mounted and sheds I have found are starting to appear gray. Well somewhere between gray and black. Blotchy is the best way to describe it. One shed I have found started with that typical fresh bleached look you find on sheds all the time. The same with some of the deer mounted. I know they were not like that when shot or found. None of these are to terribly old, maybe 5-6 years on the wall. I have searched the archives and am not looking for a restoration answer but rather a cause. I realize bone is porous and it soaks things up but why would they change colors like that. I never used anything on the antlers. The antlers are in two different houses. I dont see how moisture etc. could be the culprit. Some appear to be just fine however. I am just worried that they might look terrible in a few years. I just got back from shed hunting and found four antlers in 14hrs of walking. Does anyone have any experience as to why this is happening? Natural bone decay? Something in the house? Stuff inside the antlers coming to the surface?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Smoking?

This response submitted by Crusty on 4/6/06 at 5:18 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

does anyone in the house smoke? Or a wood stove or fireplace?

nope

This response submitted by JoeyinMN on 4/6/06 at 6:05 PM. ( hunter41162@aol.com ) 152.163.100.138

No smoking, no fireplaces. Some antlers look the same some don't.

I was

This response submitted by Crusty on 4/6/06 at 11:40 PM. ( ) 64.4.228.133

just looking at some caribou sheds in my house that are laying in a wolf habitat. They have what you describe. They were like that when I found them. Actually, all the caribou sheds I have are like that. An elk shed isn't though. Looks like a fungus type of stain maybe? Don't know why it would show up so late in your house though...

anyone else?

This response submitted by JoeyinMn on 4/7/06 at 12:20 AM. ( hunter41162@aol.com ) 205.188.117.13

It surprises me this hasn't been talked about before. We cannot be the only ones that see this.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu