skin aroun antler bases

Submitted by chapman on 4/9/06 at 7:16 PM. ( ) 162.40.243.197

I would like to hear a good method of keeping the skin tight around antler bases.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

one way

This response submitted by Mr.T on 4/9/06 at 8:04 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.238

Clean the skull to the bone under the burr, thin the burr skin very thin or it will shrin. Loop cape thread in and out of burr skin all the way around with 1/4" stitches and leave enough thread length on each end to tie together. Do any clay work you need to do but keep clay away from where you want to glue the skin to the bone, place a small ribbon of epoxy under the antler burr, place the skin around burr and with a needle and thread, tie the two ends of the burr skin together and make a few stitches as if closing the y cut. After the incision is started about an inch, cinch the two long ends of the burr thread together and pull the skin tight to the burr and tie it off. Clean off any epoxy off the gets squeezed out. With a pick or awl, make sure the burr skin is pushed up tight to the antler. It does not take very much epoxy so do not go overboard on the epoxy. I hope this is clear.

Apoxie Sculpt

This response submitted by Rooster on 4/9/06 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 4.230.132.163

I use apoxie sculpt small roll around pedicle press the skin into the apoxie sculpt w/ a molding tool of some sort

keep skin loose

This response submitted by Dean on 4/9/06 at 10:23 PM. ( ) 65.54.154.113

Don't pull the skin up to the antler base. All you are doing is streching it. As it dries it will want pull to retrack back to a normal state. You need to move the skin up past the antler base. Then work it down to the base so it is relaxed when it is pushed into place. Key words are PUSHED into place, not PULLED. Keep the burr skin thin like Mr T said and use a good hide paste. Looping cape thread works, but it is just that for me, extra work. Don't stretch the skin when putting it in place and you won't have a problem. On elk or animals with long pedicals use a couple zip ties (cable ties) around the base just under the burr, use hide paste and they won't move. Good luck

almost like Mr.T but

This response submitted by paul e on 4/10/06 at 11:00 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.26.26

i just use some all game about the size of a pencil
wrap it around the underside of the burr
when i make my first stitch i make sure it goes into the epoxy
i double wrap the first stitch around
then i sew down to the end of the y
i have jut enough brush the epoxy hide paste at this point
they never move on me this way
paul e

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu