Need help from the slippage pros

Submitted by Ryan on 4/10/06 at 3:22 PM. ( ) 67.1.100.254

I have two spots size of a dime that the hair keeps coming out. I'm using Reinhart tan. I've had this problem before but generally it sets by now. I'm on my 4th week of drying time, generally I like to get them out of the shop after the 3rd week. I'm guessing the cream must not have penetrated in those two spots. I had the fan on them for a week. Will these hairs set up eventually or am I past the waiting point and need to comb them loose hairs out to see what it will look like.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

should be set by now

This response submitted by paul e on 4/10/06 at 4:31 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.26.26

but let me ask you a couple of questions Ryan
was the cape in good shape when you got it
how long was it you noticed the hair coming out(how many days)
does it have any odor
did you flesh it well?
i have had no problems with penetration of this tan
p.s.get some stop-rot for next time

when i used to notice hair slipping or shedding a little
i would leave the mount alone for at least three weeks
if your in the fourth week the hair should be tight

there is more than a few reasons hair comes out
improper field care after hunter harvest is usually the culpret
the taxidermist can blow it to
without knowing your entire process its really hard to say what happened for your future reference
get back with us and maybe we can help you figure it out
paul e

Ryan, that's NOT slippage

This response submitted by George on 4/10/06 at 9:18 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.66

And if you'd stop pulling hair, the dime sized spots wouldn't grow to half dollar size. You shop is too cool/humid for fast drying. Put a heater in there.

I let it sit for another week and see if it sets

This response submitted by Ryan on 4/10/06 at 9:51 PM. ( ) 67.1.100.34

I think its safe to say one of the spots is set or real close the other one is not however. Both spots right under white patch. It took a week after the kill for the cape to get to me and it was a nightmare 1000+ sticktights with a accidental L cut by the customer in the front neck area. All things considered I don't think I'm doing to bad.

I only have about 20 or so heads under my belt but I'm starting to question the tanning procedure I was tought at a well known school I went to. This is what I do, and I need to hear from you guys if I'm doing right or wrong.

1. Pull all the meat/fat off possible
2. Salt cape
3. Split ears nose lips shave eyes
4. Wash in 1lb salt per gallon of water 1 cup of tide for the mix
5. rinse
6. Squeeze dry
7. Put on tanning cream, fold cape and cover with a plastic bag for 1 to 2 hrs.
8. Miniflesh it
9. wash in same mix as above then rinse in water & conditioner
10 Squeeze dry.
11 bondo in the earbutts, sew holes then put on dry hide paste and mount up.

I told this to one guy and he said where does the pickle come in. I said I have no idea this is how I was tought. Do I need some pickle treatment in there as well? If so please explain why?

One more thing

This response submitted by Ryan on 4/10/06 at 9:55 PM. ( ) 67.1.100.34

I generally do 1-8 of the above list then put it back in the freezer and order the form. 4 days later I mount it.

Thanks for any help/advise!

Ryan, here ya go,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 4/11/06 at 12:45 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.106.136.230

this thread will entertain you for a minute or two...
Junior Rocket Science 101 and Tide Products (3/8/06)
www.taxidermy.net/forums/TanningArticles/06/c/0625494E8F.html

Ryan you might want to

This response submitted by paul e on 4/11/06 at 7:35 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 72.150.46.245

try skipping the washing before tanning
George has a whole lot of experience with jrts and i believe
he doesnt wash untill after its tanned
and if you have a decent cape you DONT need to pickle

now George correct me if im wrong but i believe that is what you have posted

so when i started the Jrts this year i did it exactly like George said he did his
i dont wash until after tanned and i have switched to protex presoak
if you look in the archives George has it in there a couple of times
his procedure
the only thing i added was i use stoprot and a quick brine soak in wtds leatherizing acid (this is in the archives also)

from what you have listed i know its not the tan

you might have had a chemical reaction with the tide as Glen is leading you to learn about

George is the real jrts expert and hes probably right about the heater
listen to him no sence walking the mine field when he has already done that for us

hope we didnt confuse you
dont shave to close
get some stop-rot
get a heater,stop using tide,and try Georges way of washing after the tan with presoak as i have noticed better results this way
paul e

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu