Speed Septums and competitions

Submitted by drew on 4/11/06 at 4:46 PM. ( ) 4.230.195.250

would the speed septum system be ok for competition whitetails in the open division?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Just my opinion

This response submitted by EJ on 4/11/06 at 5:48 PM. ( ed@backcreektaxidermy.com ) 12.33.96.190

I would go ahead and use a plastic septum. I have heard a couple of judges question the veins that show up in a speed septum. Personally I like the finished looks of the one piece plastic septums better. But like I said its just my opinion.

EJ

eppley replacement nose

This response submitted by roger p. on 4/11/06 at 6:04 PM. ( ) 216.171.187.4

i would use the epley replacement nose. they are accurate. deer don't have veins in the septum. don't texture the nose to look like raspberry effect. those nodules are all differen't shapes. the next time you take a deer, grab a flashlight & get right in that nose.

Judge got me last year on...

This response submitted by Tony on 4/12/06 at 6:01 PM. ( ) 208.157.8.215

...the replacment nose. This judge stated the septum wasn't trasparent in the replacment nose. He said it would take a while to get right, but, I should cast a real deer septum. He said to use a deer head from the slaughter house that was disposable, so I could use the inside nostril skin in the cast as well. He said to carve the rest of the inner nose myself using the replacment nose as ref.
Hope this helps!
Tony J.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu