Velvet Antlers

Submitted by Asher on 4/15/06 at 11:33 AM. ( asherdym@comcast.net ) 71.236.143.245

Okay here's a question for the experts. I have a set of 4X4 Wt antlers and an early season short hair cape to go with them. I thought it would be great to transform these antlers into velvet covered antlers to mount with the cape. I looked through the archives and found a lot of info on preserving velvet antlers and found soemthing on sending in antlers to a supply company for this service but am curious if there is any way to do yourself. I was almost thinking of using apoxy sculpt to recreate the shape at the points and blend through the rest of the antler, adding a small guage wire to re-create the veins and then a velvet flocking for the actual velvet. Is this possible? Is there a different way? Or should I just send them in?

I would appreciate any advice on this, you can e-mail me or post here.

Thanks in advance
Asher

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Asher, my man, you've found it

This response submitted by George on 4/15/06 at 11:39 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.7

To my eyesight, that's just what's been done, EXCEPT, they must place the antlers in a hyperbaric or negatively charged container to make the flocking "stand" up uniformly as it does.

Thanks George

This response submitted by Asher on 4/15/06 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 71.236.143.245

WOW .. I'm surprised I got it (well mostly), now this brings up the big questions. Where to find velvet flocking and how to get a negatively charged container. I have NEVER seen a real velvet antler so I'm just going off of pics.

Van Dykes carries the flocking

This response submitted by George on 4/15/06 at 1:07 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.7

Now the other thing, you're on your own.

HOWEVER, Asher

This response submitted by George on 4/15/06 at 1:09 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.7

That's the standard, run of the mill flocking. The velvet repro's have a longer stand length.

George

This response submitted by Asher on 4/15/06 at 1:18 PM. ( ) 71.236.143.245

Thanks Again, I might play around with it on a shed antler. If it turns out then great if not then no big loss.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu