Removing Black Stains from inside Skulls

Submitted by joeym on 4/16/06 at 9:50 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 68.222.113.84

I have 4 deer skulls that will not whiten. There are black stains on the inside of the skull in the nasal area. I used my usual 35% H2O2 w/MgOx paste on the skulls, but these black stains are on the inside of the skull. I have soaked them in peroxide, applied 40 volume cream, and still the stains persist. These are beetle cleaned skulls that have not been boiled. All other skulls in this batch whitened beautifully. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

use your airbrush

This response submitted by John W. on 4/17/06 at 8:46 AM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

joeym,just paint the inside area with some white,I have used hydromist -off white.

JOEY, are you sure it is stains?

This response submitted by Randy on 4/17/06 at 9:54 AM. ( ) 65.19.234.25

It could be beetles trapped in the nasal areas. They appear on the outside of the bone as stains. It has happened to me. Use your air compressor & air to see if you can dislodge anything. If it is not grease then pretty much has to be beetles. Air hose will usually move any trapped so you can get them with long needle point forceps. It only take 1 or 2 beetles to show a black looking stain.

Stains

This response submitted by Nain on 4/17/06 at 1:27 PM. ( denalibeavertrapper@hotmail.com ) 209.193.41.171

For impossible stains try using Winks rust and lime remover.

These are definately stains--black veins

This response submitted by joeym on 4/17/06 at 3:15 PM. ( ) 72.147.206.35

that begin in the frontal sinus and progress all the way down to the tip on the nose. I suspect that these were skulls that had been in a cooler for a while, and blood from the sinus area penetrated the bone. I degreased them in ERA + dawn in hot water for several hours. This may have "set" the stain. I will try the "Winks" next.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu