Mold in Hide Paste

Submitted by Mike on 4/17/06 at 10:46 AM. ( ) 63.18.19.170

So I use standard hide paste from a supplier. I mix up enough for what I need in a week (usually 2 elk, 1 deer/antelope or 4 deer/antelope). It seems that within the next five days the bucket has a coat of mold on the inside, over the remaining paste. I always wash the bucket before mixing a new batch.

I am worried that the the paste on the form may grow mold before it dries completely. I am in the SouthWest so humidity isn't a real concern. Can I add a mildicide to the paste? Should I worry? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

No

This response submitted by George on 4/17/06 at 12:24 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.10

If you've torn as many mounts apart as I have, you know that many skins have old mold that formed underneath on the clay, paper mache and the hide paste (especially that gadawful dextrine crap). Mold love the wheat flour in most of those old type pastes. You can cut down on it somewhat by putting a few capfuls of bacteriacide in your mix or a few tablespoons of Clorox.

mold

This response submitted by RD on 4/18/06 at 8:00 AM. ( ) 129.42.161.36

I found mold growing in my paste also and had the same question. I am using dermi grip red label.

hide paste

This response submitted by Laurier on 4/18/06 at 9:24 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.231

most poeple know about the hide paste sold by suppliers by the quart , gallon. It is white and dries clear.

This is the same thing as DAP caulking , go to Wal-Mart and get Dap
caulking , it come in different colours. get the clear, it comes out whit and dries clear.

I have many years experience with caulking and silicones.

It will be about 50 % cheaper then bying it from your suppliers.
Just because a taxidermy supplier carries something they get it from
a supplier as well.

What is It...

This response submitted by Mike on 4/18/06 at 10:05 AM. ( ) 63.18.77.153

I am just using the standard hide paste mix from Trufitt. (I think research sells the same mix.) It comes in powdered form, not the pre-mixed. I will try throwing some mildicide in the next batch and see what happens.

Any other thoughts?

put a couple capfulls of bron bottle lysol in

This response submitted by dwl on 4/19/06 at 3:58 PM. ( ) 204.113.19.8

that will keep the mold from groing.

sorry for the spelling brown and growing.

This response submitted by dwl on 4/19/06 at 3:59 PM. ( ) 204.113.19.8

sorry.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu