Green Hide Mounting

Submitted by Steve on 4/21/06 at 11:54 AM. ( Kraighn@aol.com ) 205.188.116.12

I've only done a few shoulder mounts that I tanned myself and wet mounted. Got mixed results. On the advise of a pro taxidermist, I tried my hand at using dry preservative only on a South Texas deer I shot. I got fair results versus using SynTan or Curatan (yuck!). This thicker green skin was tough to sew up on the form. Any suggestions? I even considered pre-burning holes to facilitate the stitching.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

You still need to thin the hide.

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 4/21/06 at 12:22 PM. ( ) 12.199.45.152

I think the problem you had with tanning was either not a good tan or not using a great hide paste.

On George's advice on the forums I tried Epo-Grip HIDE Adhesive, you can mount a totally green hide and still get good results.

But a tanned cape should be as suple as the DPed cape, plus last long.

needles

This response submitted by B CLINE on 4/21/06 at 3:45 PM. ( ) 71.54.94.11

try a longer needle like a 6,ich [SN6StraightNeedle/6'Long]McKenzie Supply.

Leather punch

This response submitted by joeym on 4/21/06 at 6:15 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 68.19.134.11

If you insist on trying to mount a DP cape that has not been thinned, your bet bet is to get a rotary leather punch. Use the smallest size punch in the rotary. There is not a needle made that will easily stitch a 1/4 to 3/8 inch green hide...been there, done that.

Even

This response submitted by Alex on 4/21/06 at 9:34 PM. ( ) 66.32.92.158

An ice pick is handy for punching holes quickly, just don't stab yourself,LOL

6inch needle works good.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 4/22/06 at 1:33 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Not a big fan of sewing green hides but a big fat heavy needle helps. If you are using a 4inch or smaller needle you need a sewing palm. I use one even with a tanned hide and a 6inch needle. Joe

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu