Ear Repair

Submitted by jrosbor on 4/22/06 at 3:08 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I gots a question for yall. I have a deer I am trying to finish in the shop but having trouble with the right ear. He had a nasty wound on the inner ear skin about 3/4" wide by 2" long near the bottom of the lobe. It ended up being a bald spot after I took the catalage out. So I used RTV and a cotton ball as I normaly would. When I pulled the cotton away, the "hair" was too short and kinda looks like crap! So I wire brushed the cotton out and tried to flock the area in with hair cuts from the cape. Still lookes like crap but not as bad. Wouldn't dare give it to my customer in this shape. He is aware of the extra costs to repair the ear. I have a few extra ears in the freezer that I could cut a peice of skin from and try to patch in. Just looking for other ideas yall may have.

Thanks! Joe

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

BTW,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 4/22/06 at 3:14 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I have also checked the archives and only came up with ear replacement or the cotton ball method. And it isn't a "bald spot" it ended up being a hole that was too big to sew or glue together. Thanks again!

Try All-Game

This response submitted by Nancy on 4/26/06 at 7:11 PM. ( icehouse.icehouse@verizon.net ) 70.20.220.158

Mix up some all game and mix some white flocking in it then patch the hole. Let it dry then air brush as usual. That should do the trick. Hope this helps. I did this for a competition piece and you can't see it.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu