Texas Hill Country deer

Submitted by Rooster on 4/26/06 at 2:07 AM. ( Roosterpt1@sbcglobal.net ) 66.141.34.140

I am located in the Texas Hill Country. Even our big mature bucks barely top the scales at 125lbs. Does anyone have experience with these little petite guys? i was just wondering what the best form is to use on them. Because most forms are sculpted from northern deer from what i have seen. Jonas made hill country specific form but they have since discontinued it. All responces are appreciated.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

I just finished mounting seven bucks that came

This response submitted by joeym on 4/26/06 at 6:37 AM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 72.147.252.192

from Val Verde county. They were puny. I used the Sally Dahlmes forms from WASCO and they look great. Even though the deer were small, they had nice symetrical racks. There's no wonder the deer do not have any size on then, they were covered with thounands of ticks, and were full of thistle needles...what a miserable existance!

A supply Company

This response submitted by Darrell on 4/26/06 at 8:42 AM. ( ) 209.99.19.8

You have mail

Thanks guys

This response submitted by Rooster on 4/26/06 at 11:33 AM. ( Roosterpt1@sbcglobal.net ) 66.141.34.54

The deer from val verde co. are much bigger than what we have here in Travis co. Val Verde is Del Rio that is right where the South Texas brush country meets w/ west texas. Our lil deer are much different than those. Any one ever mounted a deer from the following counties. Travis, Hays, Burnet, Blanco,Llano,Gillesspe, Kendall, Lampassas,or San Saba counties? The reason our deer are so small is over population. Nobody will kill enough does, they would rather shoot a 2 yr old 6pt buck. Llano county alone hold a population of over 1,000,000 deer! thats one county! My sister in-law took a 138+ P&Y deer this year and the deer field dressed 104lbs. He was a 6 year old buck.

Bradley Forms

This response submitted by Alex on 4/26/06 at 1:35 PM. ( ) 66.32.120.222

Sold by Van Dykes

Hill Country Deer

This response submitted by John on 4/26/06 at 2:28 PM. ( BrownsTaxidermy@satx.rr.com ) 24.174.134.185

I mounted a Travis County Deer that looks like Bambi he is so small with a nice tall 10 pt Rack. I used the coues deer form from Van Dykes, like Alex said I think it was a Bradley form. My wife named him Pookie Buck because he is so cute! LOL! I have yet to see one of these 18"+ Hill Country Deer some folks have talked about. Guadalupe County is starting to grow some very nice deer but they are one of those limited counties too. One buck. Doe by permit only. Joey, those aren't thistle needles they are cactus, Texas deer eat prickly pear like candy. Yes lots of ticks though from South Texas.

Texas

This response submitted by Darrell on 4/26/06 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 209.99.19.8

Hill country deer are small yes. But South Texas deer I would rival with any other state. I personally took one in Webb County that dressed out at 185 he was 9 points with a 6" drop scored 166. I like s.texas deer.

Joe Coombs

This response submitted by Adam on 4/26/06 at 4:48 PM. ( amctaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 207.255.229.156

I did a few Texas brand deer last fall and used Joe Coomb's smaller forms. They mounted up nice with good detail...and yes, the hides were full of tick scars...the inside of the skin looked like the deer had internal acne there were so many bite scars...

Try

This response submitted by michael f on 4/26/06 at 7:05 PM. ( ) 12.77.173.130

Try Coombs forms and i think you will be well pleased! I won't use anything else.

Thanks guys!

This response submitted by Rooster on 4/26/06 at 9:53 PM. ( ) 4.231.50.64

Yes those dudes down south can be preety large I also hunt down south on the Callaghan Ranch in Webb co i took two management deer this past fall one field dressed 162 and the other 155. I took a deer on another lease in Maverick co that dressed nearly 200. but out lil hill country deer rarely go over 110.

They aren't that small...

This response submitted by Sika on 4/26/06 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 71.145.162.87

A lot of Austin-area and central Texas taxidermists use McKenzie forms for our smallish hill country whitetails.

Travis County buck

This response submitted by Robert on 4/26/06 at 11:43 PM. ( horswhsprr@aol.com ) 205.188.116.72

My taxidermist is waiting on my cape from the tanner
for a nine point, maybe 110 lb. buck I took Travis
County. Pretty buck but the [a supply company] forms the taxidermist
has on the floor are too big as he mounts alot of S. Texas
140 class deer. I ended up looking through [a supply company]'s catalog online and picked a smaller 16" semi upright. But I have been
hearing alot about McKenzie's forms. Should I keep looking?
I'm worried the Chase form's 6 12/ head is still too big.
Btw, our Hill Country bucks are small they are hot blooded.
In fact I witnessed one whip and chase a rutting 6x6 bull elk
in a high fence pasture just up the road in Stonewall.

Rooster

This response submitted by Evelyn on 4/27/06 at 3:58 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.72

We use McKenzie forms exclusively unless it is a deer with odd measurements, then we usually find it through Van Dykes. I live in Williamson County right next door to Austin. We've mounted hundreds of Hill Country deer and McKenzie forms will work great on them. And not all Hill Country deer are puny, there are some nice bucks all over the Hill Country with good necks in the 18 to 20 inch range.

call ron schaffer

This response submitted by drew on 4/27/06 at 7:45 PM. ( ) 4.230.195.173

hello rooster...

ron schaffer with heads above the rest used to sell a small petite line of forms through Noonkester Supply. but now with McKenzie owning them, i dont think McKenzie sells them. ron is located in central texas. McKenzie works well also.

Thanks Evelyn, Drew

This response submitted by Robert on 4/28/06 at 1:47 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.72

I stopped by my taxidermist thats gonna be mounting my buck
and he was mounting a Central Texas buck using a McKenzie form and
I was impressed with the finer details of the muzzle. I have my buck's rack here at home sitting on a [a supply company] semi upright to make sure the angles and position are right. The details are great, in fact if it had ears it alone wouldn't make a bad sculpture but I'm obsessed with capturing this Pedernales River buck's Hill Country features. My hide came in today so tomorrow we'll be taking measurements. I looked on McKenzies website at his semi upright
offsets but all he showed in offsets were the 8400 series and they
are full rut so I'll be calling them to see if they have an offset thats not in rut. My buck was long and lanky and was the dominant buck in that section of the ranch but didn't have a swollen neck.

Thanks again !

This response submitted by Rooster on 4/28/06 at 10:38 PM. ( Roosterpt1@sbcglobal.net ) 4.230.144.109

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I'm fairly new to the taxidermy bussiness yet cant beat customers off with a stick! I went to school at the Academy of Realistic Taxidermy up in Havre, Montana. Those guys amaze me on how mush i have learned and quality of teaching i recieved is already showing in my mounts.If i could just get a long enough break from people bringing in animals i might be able to do a lil taxidermy work but all my freezers are about to bust! so all new animals i take in must be split and salted right away. I took in a 140# tom Mtn Lion from Colorado this week that i made room for in the freezer it will big my first Lion any special tips on that?

Too busy?

This response submitted by buck_wild on 4/28/06 at 11:35 PM. ( ) 4.253.37.64

RAISE YOUR PRICE
Now for forms, hard to beat Coombs for hill country deer. McKenzie also works well
Rooster, you ever wonder why that supply company you keep typing is voided out? You might check around for the real deal. PS I wouldn't mount any deer on those steriod mannikens.
S Tx deer? try Ben Mears and you'll never use anthing else on those mule heads.

Thanks Buck

This response submitted by Robert on 4/29/06 at 3:08 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.137

Yea, the concesus for Hill Country deer seems to be McKenzies.
I was back in the shop this afternoon and the taxi. was
using one on a Zapata buck that came together good.
(That buck had rake marks on his shoulder and back showing not only
do they have to deal with ticks and prickly pear but the occasional
lion). Remeasured my cape and found out he is 6" x 15". Thought
he was bigger than that. He was a 17" inside spread high tined
nine w/a kicker.
I was working alone on a Pedernales ranch clearing
mesquite this summer when I first saw him in velvet. He later had a
scrape in a pasture that he owned and I remember I avoided dozing
his mesquite it was under out of respect. So I'm kinda bent on
putting him back together right.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu