rack treatment

Submitted by dan on 4/28/06 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 12.217.22.31

i have a rack with the skull plate and hair still on it. what can i do to clean it up and make it look nice? (i have heard about boiling it in lye) any thoughts?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

soak it until the hide softens

This response submitted by B2 on 4/28/06 at 7:39 PM. ( ) 66.207.248.34

the hide will have dried to the skull... just saok itto rehydrate the hide and then work on removing the hide.

I am relativley new to this, but the boiling tends to break the bone down overly much, I haven't heard the lye method, but I wiold steer clear of it as the lye is overly caustic and can damage the bone and antlers.

hide on skull

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 4/28/06 at 10:54 PM. ( forrestzoo @ earthlink.net ) 76.0.160.241

I soak in warm soapy water and also inject a little...hmmm what's that stuff called? Stop Rot. after it softens a little. Leave it a couple hours and get a knife & pliers, depending on how much is left. I LOVE getting those antlers they cut off with a saw and covered in dried up ifested skin and hair... MAN!

just soak it

This response submitted by Mr.T on 4/29/06 at 8:58 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.156

drop it in a bucket of water for 3 or 4 days, the water will get a bit smelly, but thats ok, then cut the hide off and scrape the shull with a knife blade while it is wet, or let it dry and take a dremmil tool with a burr bit and grind it nice and smooth.

Easy way

This response submitted by outdoorslover on 5/1/06 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 216.188.206.79

Just take a sharp knife and trim all the flesh off. Then cover in salt and baking soda and leave it overnight.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu