broken ears

Submitted by danny on 4/28/06 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 64.235.201.183

customer has old mount, fell off wall, ears are broken. would it be more efficient to replace whole cape or try to replace ears with ones from another cape?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Broken

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 4/28/06 at 10:50 PM. ( forrestzoo@earthlink.net ) 76.0.160.241

How old? Try another cape.. How are you going to match new hair to an old mount? I replace capes on older mounts all the time. I just use similar pose, similar size and reuse the eyes.. even the panel with a little cleaning.

Repair deer ears

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 4/29/06 at 10:53 PM. ( mhoneyATmindspringDOTcom ) 4.152.63.102

Danny, I've replaced ears on older mounts before with good results. Sure, it's not as good as a remount but if the customer is looking for repair and not interested in paying for a total remount, replacing the ears is a very doable option. When I do it I tell the customer I can make it better but it won't be like new- not perfect. I tan 2 ears and cut out the insides of the old ears, also cut away the old ear tips down past any damage. Trim the new ears to make a matching ear for each side. I use Apoxie-sculpt for a liner in the repair ear tips feathering the Apoxie down over the existing bondo (if it has ear liners in place just go with them). The finished repair is not noticable from the front and the repair line on the ears' backs will be to the wall. Like many repairs to older mounts the idea is to make it look better but if your customer wants perfection by all means remount the deer. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu