Deer Tan

Submitted by Jerry on 4/28/06 at 11:01 PM. ( ) 4.154.63.137

I have mounted about 15 deer, all of them except two were dry perserved. I'm wanting to switch over to tanning, I really dont have any clue as to what kind to use. I want one that gives a good stretch, is easy to use, good for a beginner, and is . I was thinking about McKenzie tan but concerned about some of the stuff I've read about it in the archives. I can thin the face but I'm not really sure about how to thin the rest of the cape. I dont have a fleshing machine so I cant get the skin totally clean; I can get most of it but there is some left that seems to just be blood stains or something it just wont come out and if I shave any deeper I cut a hole so it isnt meat. Is there any advice that anybody can give me as to what kind of tan to use and any thinning advice on the body part of the cape; if it is even nessecary.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Tanning

This response submitted by Dan on 4/29/06 at 1:13 AM. ( huistax2@aol.com ) 207.200.116.132

McKenzie or Liqua Tan will do what you are looking for, good strecth and easy to work with. Safty acid will do a nice pickel. Thining can be done with a wire brush and a electric drill, be careful the drill will want to grab the cape, very messy. Read the lables, try different products to find what works for you. We all started somewere. Dan

I like Rittles Kwik and easy

This response submitted by Tony J. on 4/29/06 at 2:51 AM. ( ) 208.135.164.219

Just like McKenzies tan, a brush on tan. I like Safty Acid. Also try the wire wheel on a bench grinder, remove the side guards so it doesn't throw the shavings in your face, it will roll out the sides. Some people that haven't tried this method will talk bad about slipping and such. I have mounted over 200 deer using a bench grinder and wire wheel on the face, and have had no problems with slipping. You need to keep the skin moving or it will burn a hole in it. I only do the face, when I first started, I didn't have a fleashing machine. Doing the whole cape is time consuming but will work, now I just do the face. I finish up the face with a skife knife. Hope this helps!

Tony J.

Try Krowtann

This response submitted by Skip on 4/29/06 at 7:26 AM. ( ) 70.160.218.25

very simole to use just follow instructions

rittles

This response submitted by jody on 4/29/06 at 8:23 AM. ( jl_dozier@sbcglobal.net ) 70.234.33.97

kwikneze by rittles is a good tan.eze to use.good stretch.

if skin is bruised from

This response submitted by terryr on 4/30/06 at 1:11 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

outside trauma ( read bullet hole) and goes all the way to the inside you cannot shave it off - it is part of the skin

rittles kwikneze

This response submitted by bcline on 4/30/06 at 10:11 PM. ( ) 71.54.94.11

and McKenzie tan work great ,you,ll still have shrinkage if its not shaved thin, Have you ever tried a professionally tanned cape?

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu