Shrinkage

Submitted by jerry on 4/30/06 at 6:20 PM. ( ) 4.153.247.233

I'm switching to tanning, Im concerned about shrinkage though (I dont have a fleshing machine). I have two deer that Im ready to mount both have around 23" necks right behind the ears. Should I order the forms before I tan because i've heard that their necks can shrink or should I wait till I've tanned them then remeasure the get the form. Is there a way to stretch them back out some, I read in the archives were somebody uses two 2X4's to stretch the neck back out will this work. I will be using McKenzie Tan and pickling with Saftee acid.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

Depends on what tan you use.

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 4/30/06 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 12.199.45.217

Use Krowtann and the 24 inch forms will work fine.

always order after tan no matter what you use

This response submitted by Mr.T on 4/30/06 at 8:06 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.58

The McKenzie tan will work great, make sure you oil the skin side after any tan so it will stretch back, (been there,) IF, there is any shrink. Any tanning oil will work; McKenzie has an oil to go with the Mc tan. I have found to order the form after any tan, and after stretching so you get exactly, the size you need. imo

Oil?

This response submitted by jerry on 4/30/06 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 4.153.240.249

It doesnt say anything about oiling in the directions in the catalog. I use ear magic and wont the oil affect the adhesion.

you remove the oil in ears before mounting

This response submitted by John W. on 4/30/06 at 11:42 PM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

Jerry, you remove the oil in the ears with laquer thinner before mounting.I wash the excess oil off my hides just before mounting in clean cool water and then towel dry.

thats right John W.

This response submitted by Mr.T on 5/1/06 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.93

Thats the way to do it too. Jerry, you are right, they dont say anything about oiling. I tried one with out oiling, no stretch. Added the oil on the next ones and it did wonders.

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu