Here's one for yall.....?

Submitted by Tony on 10/27/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.217.250

I have looked through the archives and could find nothing on this, so I will ask. Does anyone have a good process for mounting a shoulder mount to the plaque. This may be a stupid question, but I did one last night and it can be rather difficult to do with one person. There has got to be a better way to do it than the way I am doing it. It took me almost an hour to get the thing on the panel straight and uniform so it would look good. There has got to be a better and quicker way!!!

Tony

Return to Category Menu

Practise makes perfect

This response submitted by Carl on 10/27/99. ( ) 209.47.43.83

all I do is start by drilling the holes for the screws and countersinking them . I put 5 holes including a center hole which is the first one I use.
then after the first one is in I adjust the mount to get the look I want then I add the rest of the screws.
I don't know if this will help you but its my 2 cents worth :)

Use a ice pick for handles

This response submitted by John C on 10/27/99. ( ) 204.180.103.99

I have made ICE PICKS and used them for handles. Part the hair, so that no hair is disturbed when inserting the ice pick. HOpe this helps you. JohnC

My 2 Cents

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/27/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.68

Tony,
Help in a taxidermy shop tends to be like cops: you can never find one when you need them. I turn the plaque over and I set the mount on it. I try to center it and mark the top, bottom, and both sides of the mount. Then I drill and oversized hole in the center and on two inches inside the four marks. I lay the mount between two floor freezers and drill a pilot hole 2 inches down from the top dead center of the manniken. Now, I place the plaque on the manniken and run a screw (I use #12- 2inch phillips head screws)in that hole and SNUG the manniken to the plaque. I then install the hanger on the plaque and hang the mount on the wall with only the one screw. Step pack and you and twist and turn the form on the plaque until it is properly centered and aligned. Gently remove it from the wall and tighten that top screw. Repeat the wall hanging to insure is stayed in place. If it did, take it down and run the other screws through the predrilled holes. This way the mount is always centered on your plaque.

measure center

This response submitted by dak on 10/27/99. ( ) 209.214.168.43

I measure the center of the panel ,then measure the center of the forms
back board. Drill the center hole on the panel and make a small
hole at the center mark on the back board.
When you run the screw thru the panel and into the center of the
back board you will be straight enough to eye ball the deer from that point on.

panel first

This response submitted by Art on 10/28/99. ( hursey1@sota-oh.com ) 216.28.80.86

When I have a shoulder mount that requires a panel, I mount the Mannikin on the board first.
That way you don't have to worry about messing up the hair. Simply remove the screws, and reinstall after finishing the mount.

Try this

This response submitted by Bill on 10/28/99. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

Take a panel and drill 3 holes in it from the back side. Make sure they are basically in the middle of the panel. Put a small piece of tape over the BOTTOM hole from the back of the panel. Set it face up on a table and position it so it hangs over the edge to expose the taped over hole from underneath. Set the mount on top of the panel and center. I just eye them, but you can measure the side to the edge. While you hold the mount down by the brisket or lower neck, push a 3" drywall screw thru the taped hole. It will stay there because of the tape. Reach under the panel and screw in the screw. Hang up the mount to check the angle, and adjust it accordingly. Thats why I keep the hole toward the center, so adjusting is easy. Of course the hanger was installed to the panel ahead of time. Then zip 2 more screws in. I think its quicker for me to just do it than it is to type how!

Great Question

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/28/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.97

Tony,
What you thought was a dumb question was superb. Something as simple as installing a panel seems to have been self taught by all of us and you got a group of replies.
Now you know why they say,"There's more than one way to skin a cat." Ain't this industry great?

Man, is this a great place, or what!!!!

This response submitted by Tony on 10/28/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.211.88

Once again, this place proves its worth a hundred times over!! Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Yall are great and I appreciate your time.

Tony

Return to Category Menu