Getting capes ready for commercial tanning!!

Submitted by Scott on 10/4/99. ( sanders@northnet.org ) 209.240.200.55

I was wondering what process you use to
prep capes to send out? Do you just split the lips, eyes, nose, ears, and remove all the chuncks of meat? Is the next step to salt 24 hours then resalt for 24 more? Do you then brush salt off cape, then send out for tanning? Any other suggestions? just looking to save time on the process as I dont yet own a fleshing machine! I use a currier Knife that shaves well but takes a while!
Scott

Return to Category Menu

Yes,Yes and Yes

This response submitted by Mark Daniels on 10/4/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.74.144

Scott,
That is correct, turn everything and salt for a total of 48 hrs.
along with cleaning up the flesh and meat off. You may want to
let the skin dry out all the way before you do send it out to the
tannery, this will assure you that you won't have any hair slippage
providing the cape is good. The other thing is that
if they go out wet rolled up you can get some bacteria started.
Mark Daniels
www.Knoblochs.com

Try East Coast Tannery

This response submitted by Eric on 10/4/99. ( ) 209.122.211.82

If you don't have a tannery yet give us a try.

East Coast Tannery
132 South Third St
Perkasie PA 18944

DRY OUT??

This response submitted by Scott on 10/4/99. ( ) 209.240.200.67

How long do the capes usually take to dry out?
Are the hides flexible to fold up and place in the box?
Thanx again
Scott

Depends on a lot

This response submitted by Mark Daniels on 10/5/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.90.51

That may depend on how thick the skin is, what climate your in,
humidity, how you lay it out,(on a screen)how warm your shop is.
Most of the time a few weeks.

Mark Daniels

Try This

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 10/6/99. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 209.143.26.43

What I suggest to everyone is to make racks with 2 X 4's standing on edge, then hang your capes on them with the head over one side, and the shoulders over the other. After one day, turn them over so the area in contact with the board will get some air to it too. Hang them so the shoulders are a little lower than the nose. This will help protect the thin nose, lip and ear tips during shipping. It's real sad to see how many capes show up here with cracked noses, lips and ears because they were hung by the nose or back of the head to dry, then shoved in boxes for shipping with these delicate areas exposed. If you put a fan on them and it's fairly dry weather you might get your skins dry in about a week, just wait until they are completely dry and lift them off the boards and lay in boxes for shipping.

Return to Category Menu