Another Tumbling Question.

Submitted by Tony on 10/4/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.217.26

I just finished my tumbler. It is a 30 gallon plastic drum turning 13-14 rpm. I have purchased my sawdust to use when tumbling my deer capes, but, I was wondering if I need to add anything else to the mixture. I am planning to add some puffed borax to the sawdust. Thought you experts out there might have some suggestions.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to Category Menu

Why the borax???

This response submitted by John C on 10/4/99. ( taxidermist118@hotmail.com ) 204.180.103.22

Why the borax? What purpose would it serve and what would it do? Bollmans fur glaze would bve a good choice. John C

Hair Sheen

This response submitted by Mark Daniels on 10/4/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.74.144

We make Hair Sheen which will work very well, all you need to
do is take 1 a cup of Hair Sheen to a 1 cup of water to
55 lb. bag of sawdust. The Hair Sheen will help clean and
condition the hair and hide, plus gives you a wonderful fregerence.
Mark Daniels
www.Knoblochs.com

HAIR SHEEN

This response submitted by JACK BAKER IN GA. on 10/5/99. ( ) 167.192.80.31

HAIR SHEEN SOUNDS GREAT,IS THAT THE SAME AS SHOW SHEEN THAT YOU CAN
BUY AT TACK SHOPS FOR HORSES. SEEMS LIKE THAT WOULD WORK REAL GOOD TO,
IT DOES THE THING THAT YOU DISCRIBED. THANKS FOR THE INFO, NEVER
THOUGHT OF THAT.

Not the same

This response submitted by Mark Daniels on 10/5/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.90.51

Jack
It may not work the same, We make our own Hair Sheen, it will
clean better than the livestock spray plus I'm sure it may be
less expensive. I'm know that the Hair Sheen we make will also
take off all the excess oil off of the hair. Mark Daniels
www.Knoblochs.com

Stay away from the Equine Products

This response submitted by Rusty on 10/6/99. ( rgarrett@cei.net ) 204.180.108.141

Tony,

I would purchase and use the products intended for taxidermy purposes. The products that you can get at a tack supplier seem to have an oily residue that tends to dry sticky. I had a guy at my shop using this stuff and since then I've had to take in several of these mounts and clean them up. Save yourself some time and trouble and use the stuff that has been proven.
Rusty

Return to Category Menu