How to tuck eye skin around preset eyes

Submitted by henry on 10/5/99. ( ) 209.192.50.145

If you buy a deer form with preset eyes, such as from Van Dyke's, how do you tuck the eye skin under the eye since the clay will be already hard.

Return to Category Menu

Pre Set Eyes

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/5/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.37

Henry,
I always assumed (right or wrong) that this feature was intended for deer where the inner eyelids had been removed and were not intended for tucking.
I know that you can spray the clay with warm water(I prefer Windex) and the clay will soften enough for you to tuck the eyelid. But if you wanted SOFT clay, you could have set the eyes yourself. I'll be interested in the answers supplied by those experts at using these forms.

Don't tuck

This response submitted by JimTuckerb on 10/5/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 207.206.44.3

the skin around on these pre-set forms. George is right in assuming that the forms were not made for tucking. I have used many exotic forms for sheep that have pre-set eyes and you just have to pin the eyes in place at the corners and after they dry your finish work is very minimal. I have not tried any of the whitetail forms but I assume the same would apply. Trim away all of the skin you would use for tucking then do the eye work. I never tuck eyes anyway. If you use apoxie sculpt around the eyes when setting instead of clay it glues the lids in place, but beware that you must place the epoxy around the eye after the hide has been sewn up and the nose/mouth has been set. A friend of mine just uses clay and he doesn't tuck with goo results. We both use fully tanned hides though.

Tucking not necessary

This response submitted by Chip on 10/6/99. ( Chip@cfc-al.org ) 199.174.136.77

Henry,

I never tuck any of my eyes because I always place the eyes and sew the eyelids closed over them. It makes the deer look like he's alseep. I have about 20 deer heads in my hunting cabin -- all sound asleep. Who wants a bunch of deer staring at you all the time anyway.

- Chip

Preset Eyes

This response submitted by Jason on 10/7/99. ( ) 206.150.106.29

Henry:

Preset eyes are very simple to work with and save you a lot of time setting the eyes in clay. The company I get my white-tailed deer forms from preset the eyes in all of their manikins. Just shave the eyelid down as close to the hide as possible and pin into place around the preset eye. When the mount is dry, simply remove the pins, and fill the pin holes with clay. Then finish the deer as you normally would. Hope this helps. Good luck.

nah...

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 10/10/99. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.200.47

I tried one of those with preset eyes. The work was great, but it was hard as a rock, and broke as I tried to tuck, so I had to replace it anyway. I guess if you weren't going to tuck the eye anyway, it wouldn't make much difference. Tucking is best.

Learn to set your own eyes

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 11/24/99. ( jjbaird@ligtel.com. ) 207.40.89.40

Henry,

You should learn to set your own eyes. It's not difficult with the depth and angle already done for you on quality forms. Pre set eyes are a crutch and won't help you become a better taxidermist. Avoiding a task is not a good way to learn.

On tucking I feel its a method of the past. I don't even do it on the eyes I set myself. If you thin the skin around the eyes sufficiently you shouldn't have any problems with shrinkage.

Cecil

Learn to set your own eyes

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 11/24/99. ( jjbaird@ligtel.com. ) 207.40.89.40

Henry,

You should learn to set your own eyes. It's not difficult with the depth and angle already done for you on quality forms. Pre set eyes are a crutch and won't help you become a better taxidermist. Avoiding a task is not a good way to learn.

On tucking I feel its a method of the past. I don't even do it on the eyes I set myself. If you thin the skin around the eyes sufficiently you shouldn't have any problems with shrinkage.

Cecil

Return to Category Menu