sliced tear duct

Submitted by brenda on 11/7/99. ( brenda156@penn.com ) 208.29.101.254

Throughout my 5 years of mounting deer,Ive run into my share of sliced open tear ducts but they are still headaches for me.
Ive always repaired them with sculpall and insect pins but havent been satisfied with the looks.Im working on a beautiful 10 point typical currently and the customer skinned the deer himself well needless to say he cut through the tear duct.Im sure you all run into plenty of those and Im wondering if theres a better way to repair them and hide the tear.Thanks for the input.
Brenda

Return to Category Menu

Tear Duct

This response submitted by George Roof on 11/8/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.104

Brenda
I sew the slice up with invisible thread. When I prep the manniken, I dremel out the duct, but I tilt the bit so that the duct fits up under the muzzle unseen. I'm an epoxy guy, so I paint the duct heavily with epoxy glue. When I tuck the gland, I push it in deeply enough just so that the very edge is visible. Then I take 3 inch japan pins and I bend over the last quarter inch to form and "L". I push these pins into the duct to hold it in place for the several hours that it takes the glue to harden. A little toner during finishing with a light coat of burnt umber covers the duct , but the slit doesn't come into play.

Return to Category Menu