Caping does

Submitted by Lance H on 10/10/99. ( ) 208.233.40.115

Stuck a nice mature whitetail doe Wednesday morning for the early season cape and a chance to mount a doe. One thing I've noted about them is the disparity between the circumferenec of the skull at the angle of the jaw and the circumference of the neck just below the base of the skull. It appears that it would be very difficult to pull the cape over the headform. Should one make a small vertical incision along the back of the neck to offer more width? Also, how does one go about sculpting the ear butts if no incision is made?

Return to Category Menu

Does

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/11/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.74

Lance,
On adult does, I make the short vertical incision between both ears. As for ear butts, I cut the butts off the commercial earliners, epoxy them in, and then push a tennisball sized piece of clay up into the ear butt areas after I have the skin on the manniken. I sew the incision and then shape the butt from outside. Any excess clay that can't be moved around under the jaw, I use a piece of 10 gage wire with a hook on it. I shove this under the cape, and pull the excess out through the neck. Then finish the mount by gluing the cape and stapling the hide on the back.

Thanks

This response submitted by Lance on 10/11/99. ( ` ) 208.233.40.36

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. That's essentially how I felt it would have to be done, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easier way to do it that the veterans have come across. Thanks again.

Just completed my first Texas doe

This response submitted by crl on 12/11/99. ( ) 205.242.228.75

Lance,I just completed my first doe here in Texas ,and me like you had the same thoughts on the cape going over the head.the one i did came off without any incisions,You may want to go ahead and try it without making any cuts.it also went back on smoothly and she turned out really impressive .my client was very pleased with her

Return to Category Menu