Old Antlers on a NEW DEER ??????

Submitted by T.L. Tuberville on 11/12/99. ( computer@seark.net ) 208.245.102.177

I have a set of antlers that I've had for over 20 years (not real great, but it was my first buck). I have only the antlers. We were really too poor to afford to get the deer mounted. We cut a very large portion of the skull cap around the antlers (behind the eye downward and from the middle of the ear downward to the previous cut.

Anyway, I don't have a clue what can be done with taxidermy or if it is even possible to mount these antlers on a recently killed deer. Is that possible? I don't know anything about taxidermy or even how mounting a deer is accomplished, but someone told me it could be done.

Can anyone point me to the truth of the matter?

Thanks.

Tony

Return to Category Menu

Yes

This response submitted by Bo on 11/12/99. ( pearsontaxidermy@att.net ) 12.74.136.143

Tony, that is done all the time. Any competent taxidermist can do it.

Deer Skin

This response submitted by Lianne on 11/12/99. ( ) 12.67.3.247

Tony,
What you need is the skin from the shoulders and head of another deer or the "cape". Besides the antlers, this is the only thing that is "real" on a deer mount. A taxidermist or hunting buddies may be able to supply you with a new cape of an appropriate size.

Thank You

This response submitted by Tony on 11/12/99. ( computer@seark.net ) 208.245.102.176

Thank you very much. I suppose now, all I need to do is to harvest another nice buck and just have my old antlers mounted on it. Thanks guys.

Return to Category Menu