Whitetail ears

Submitted by Jim on 10/12/99. ( jkasik@gilligan.esu7.k12.ne.us ) 205.202.27.198

Here is one to try. Over the last few years I have begun competing and have thus really tried to improve my deer ears. I have tried just about every method available and this is the best that I have found. I use this on all my commercial and competition mounts for high quality.

I cape the deer as usual but when I remove the ear from the deer I cut it very close to the skull. When turning ears I keep the back of the ear in tact. Only have about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch hole in back of ear. I remove all meat and turn ear completely. I then salt and sent to be tanned. I always use wet tan process.

When I am ready to mount I remove the cartlage but leave about 1 1/2 inches attached to the hide. This will get tucked into the commercial ear cartlage and give you all the detail you need naturally. I then trim my earliner to proper size. I use MacKenzie Natural Look liners. I clean the ear with laquer thinner and let dry. Next I submerge my earliner in lacquer thinner for one minute. Then tumble in fine sand. The sand embeds into the ear liner and provides more surface area for my adhesive. You can then mount the ears but I have found if you let them dry overnight they become more rigid.

I have used a lot of adhesives over the years. The best for this process that I have found is Bondo. I mix it up, spread it over the liner and slip into the ear. You have about ten minutes to work the ear. I make sure to have a little extra skin on the inside of the ear. This process has virtually eliminated my ear problems. NO drumming and a top quality ear. After mounted I card the edges for a few days with 1/8 inch wire mesh and paper clips.

Give this a try and tell me what you think. I like this method. Adds a little time, but I think it is worth it.

Return to Category Menu

Why Me, Lord?

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/12/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.168

Jim,
I had to spoil your explanation, but BONDO is not an adhesive. Bondo is a thixotropic FILLER and if it quacks and has webbed feet, calling it anything but a duck won't change the facts. Bondo is indespensible around a taxidermy shop for a zillion things. Bonding ears to earliners ain't one of them.
Using your method, you could skip the lacquer thinner and tumbler mix if you took a hole punch and randomly punched holes in the liner. This is the way we were taught when plastic earliners first came out.
Get some 5 minute epoxy. Prefit the earliner, dump about 8cc's of mixed epoxy in the ear, insert the liner, and squeeze out the bubbles. In a snap, the ear will BOND PERMANENTLY with an untreated plastic earliner. (If you mess up with Bondo, you can pull the whole thing right out and do it over. If you screw up my method, you can order a new cape.)

because George, you are the chosen one....he he

This response submitted by Leanna on 10/13/99. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.61

I've tried quite a FEW methods for the ear-liner-bonding-with-no-drumming-syndrome, and I have to say that the 2 part epoxy method George has SO OFTEN spoken of is truely the way to go (for me anyways). It's a permanent thing and it keeps the ear at the right thinness rather than having the over plump ear that bondo gave me.
Okay George...here we go...

epoxy ????

This response submitted by jim on 10/20/99. ( ) 209.158.92.70

What kind of two part epoxy works best for this ? What the set time ?

Return to Category Menu