Hide paste

Submitted by Scott on 10/12/99. ( ScottsTaxidermy@webtv.net ) 209.240.200.22

Has anyone found a hide paste that they would
suggest! I just mounted two deer today and was absolutey discusted wth the new paste I have tried (wont mention the name or company)
Have tried a few paste. Found one that was ok ...but what do you guys and gals recomend
Scott

Return to Category Menu

hide paste

This response submitted by Mark on 10/12/99. ( fishguy@scc.net ) 209.32.143.112

Don't know what other guys would say but I use buckeye supreme with good results. Also the paste from Research Mannikins is good. I'm sure you will get more answers and suggestions on this subject so this is only my personal opinion. Good luck, Mark

TRY THIS

This response submitted by JAMES on 10/12/99. ( ) 207.136.58.224

WALL PAPER PASTE ( SUR STIK 111 ) FROM WALL MART MIXED WITH DEXTRIN.
I BUY 5 GALONS AT A TIME, THEN PUT HALF IN AN EXTRA 5 GALLON BUCKET AND THEN ADD ABOUT 7 TO 10 POUNDS OF POWDERED DEXTRIN. THIS WILL MAKE ALMOST A FULL 5 GALLONS. I HAVE USED THIS ON BOTH COMERCIALY TANNED HIDES AND LIQATANED HIDES WITH GREAT SUCCESS.

Hide Paste

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/12/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.134

James,
I hate having to taxi a hide for days on end until the glue dries. I use Epo-Grip Hide Paste from Newton Supply (1-800-888-2467) It is a two part paste that mixes like soft peanut butter. I paint it on and it is dried COMPLETELY in 6 to 7 hours. It has super surface tension and you will never need another pin, nail, or staple to hold the cape in the fine contours of the form. I use pins only to secure the lip corners, front corner of the eyes, and the preorbital glands. Any mistakes can be cleaned immediately with lacquer thinner.

Buckeye Supreme

This response submitted by Leanna on 10/13/99. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.61

I like the Buckeye also, it allows a goodly amount of time to taxi the skin for the first few hours that the taxiing is usually done. I do use pins, but thats just part of my routine. I've tried others, and have gone back to Buckeye Supreme.

Hide Paste

This response submitted by Carl on 10/13/99. ( spinneyc@klis.com ) 209.47.43.67

I like the epoxies as well ,, Carters Lock Tite, Killer Glue ,
am going to try the Epoxy from Newton supply soon ,but I really like the holding ability of the epoxy pastes.

Buckeye

This response submitted by S Ostertag on 10/13/99. ( ) 12.14.225.43

I've tried alot of different ones but Buckeye Supreme is my pick of the litter.

ONE MORE HIDE PASTE

This response submitted by John Wood on 10/14/99. ( AmerWild@aol.com ) 205.188.208.38

There is a new supply company out there that has a hide paste that's hard to beat. I will be sending out samples to the first 5 people to contact me via E-mail. This is a dry mix that can be wet to the consistency that you prefer but unlike other dry hide pastes dries a little faster. Give it a try it's free.

I can split the vote here...

This response submitted by Bill on 10/14/99. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 152.163.188.100

For an air dry glue that gives you about 6 hours to adjust things you cannot beat Buckeye Supreme. I might pin the pre-orbital gland, but thats about all. As for epoxies, I really like the stuff George mentioned, and they have sent me some that is very thin but won't run. Definitely no pins needed. Oh, and Leanna, what IS goodly? Ha ha ha!

Ahem...cough..

This response submitted by Leanna on 10/14/99. ( goodly@goodly.com ) 209.98.65.72

Umm, Bill, are you here for a spell, or are you just teasing us with your wit and wonder again. I hope you're done with the retirement bit, it's about goodly damn time!!

Hope to see you around you son-of-a-gunnly....

P.S.

This response submitted by L on 10/14/99. ( L ) 209.98.65.72

Goodly is right around the 4-6 hour mark!

good for everything

This response submitted by gill on 10/28/99. ( ) 216.228.40.14

I use siliconised latex caulk clear. all my messes dry clear.
Its like bondo, its good for alot of stuff.

killer glue

This response submitted by Eric on 10/29/99. ( Eric KT39@aol.com ) 152.163.188.100

I have been useing Killer Glue for about 3 years on all of my mounts. I have reduced my time for mounting because I never have to check to see if the hide is pulling away from the form. I make sure all taxing of the skin and all air bubbles are out and set the mount away to dry. This year at the W9orld show I used killer glue for two mounts in the master division and had absolutely no problems with drumming!!!!

It's the Killer speakin'

This response submitted by JW on 11/12/99. ( ) 205.217.118.244

Until I tried "Killer Glue" I had the same problems your having.
This glue is the best yet. Give it a try.

"Easy to Find"

This response submitted by John Burke on 11/15/99. ( johnb@combmet.com ) 207.208.90.30

In resonse to sylicone latex caulk.
You will get good results with ample time to taxi deer head.
There will be some pinning required.
You should be in good shape in about 24 hours.
If you are not doing a comp. piece why not take a chance.
The caulk is very available and inexpensive.
Color will not make a differance, you will not see.
Good Luck .....
John

Return to Category Menu