Nose texturing methods???

Submitted by Jay Roberson on 10/20/99. ( jaybird__11@hotmail.com ) 168.51.222.122

I,ve tried rolling, but it leaves those little lines in the apoxy.
I even made a rubber mold of a textured surface simmular to white tail. But nothing seams to give the effect that i would like. Any suggestions would be very apretiated.

Jay

Return to Category Menu

Deer noses very

This response submitted by John C on 10/20/99. ( ) 204.180.103.32

I see a trend, I guess you would call it, for a certain look within the commercial end of taxidermy.

Deer noses very from deer to deer, and depending on what the deer is doing, some have very little texture some have a lot.

If you don't have live deer to look at, look at a cows nose, those little beads most people try to create are moisture drops and they do pop out as the animal decides that something is good to eat. When in rut the nose tends to be very slick. Also look closely at the color, few if any are realy black. Charcaol grey with flesh undertones changing as you get to the bottom of the nose by the lip.

The best results I have seen were when taxidermist painted first then used Mode Podge to recreate the bumps, followed by several light coats of clear. Hope this helps. JC

Texture

This response submitted by Mike R on 10/21/99. ( ) 209.117.80.106

Jay,
This is the method I use to texture noses:
Put Elmers white glue into a small syringe. By applying different amounts of pressure you can create different sizes of bumps to the nose. After it has dried, apply paint. This method gives you alot of freedom to create whatever look you desire, is easily cleaned, and easy to master. I normally follow the original pattern on the nose, but modifications can be done. Hope this helps!

ULTRA-SEAL

This response submitted by Jeff M. on 10/23/99. ( moosehorn61@hotmail.com ) 208.18.228.127

Ultra-seal from WASCO works real nice. I put it on with a small brush. I fill in the actual patterns on the nose pad one by one to whatever shape they happen to be. This goes on white and dries clear. Then I use gloss or satin to get the look I want the next day. It takes a little time, but I like the results. hope this helps. Jeff M.

Mode podge

This response submitted by Eric on 11/3/99. ( Gilman@wingsisp.com ) 207.142.109.53

I've been mounting deer for three years now. The best way I learned from a fellow taxidermist, is to take a toothpick and dip it in the mode podge and gently dab the textures on the nose. If you don't have mode podge with you at the time, flexiable fin glue with give you the same results. When your customer sees the mount. he or she will be amazed. Also you can recreate the bumps on the lower eyelid doing the same process.

Return to Category Menu