Competition Seam

Submitted by Carmen on 11/16/99. ( Cae701@aol.com ) 152.163.188.1

Gentlemen,
Can someone Please advise me as to what is the best way to go about hiding a caped insision on a whitetail chest mount for competition?Thank You

Return to Category Menu

Seam work

This response submitted by Frank on 11/17/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 152.174.239.252

Simple put cover it with a bag poof no more seam.

No really now. To cover or hide a seam is an easy process. What I do is cut the manikin down the middle of the back. It should be a 3/4" wide and 1/2" in depth. I fill this hole with clay ( critter ) After I sew up the cape, ( make sure it shaved down thin, this aids in less shrinkage ) I depress the sew seam into the clay. Place a bag over the mount to aid in slowing down the drying process. Check each day to make sure the seam is drepressed in till dryed. This hide the seam well and you can't see where you even sewed it. Good Luck

Follow franks advice, then some

This response submitted by John C on 11/17/99. ( ) 204.180.103.165

I learned this summer to do that, and add glue to the seam area. I have tried all the hy-tech glues but keep going back to dextrine. The key to dextrine is to mix it fresh and in hot, hot water the night before. Use a bactericide from WASCO or Rittel's and no mold with ever form during the drying. Should you add LYSOL this will raise the pH of your glue and will cause hair slippage.
John C

Thank YOu!

This response submitted by Carmen on 11/17/99. ( Cae@aol.com ) 152.163.188.35

Thanks Frank and John for the advice! I will let you know how I make ouout.

Blind Stitch

This response submitted by Craig on 11/18/99. ( CRtracker@aol.com ) 24.92.226.77

I agree with both John and Frank but add one more variable. The blind stitch, in my opinion, is one of the best stitches to use for competition. Pg 83 of "The Breakthrough Whitetail Taxidermy Manual" describes how it is done. Just make sure you press it into the clay real well and as with any competition mount keep going over it during the drying process until you are satisfied that no judge will feel it. Bob Parkey thought I had removed the antlers before skinning on a mount that I had done using this method.

Return to Category Menu