splitting lips and nostril

Submitted by Brad on 11/17/99. ( bschindler@ecol.net ) 12.2.99.204

I have only done about fifteen deer mounts and am still having problems splitting. I have been self taught through books and video but still have touble. I always seem to cut through once. Any help would be apprieciated. Currently using dry preserve. Any other suggestions. Thanks

Return to Category Menu

Splitting...

This response submitted by John B. on 11/17/99. ( johnb@combmet.com ) 207.208.90.30

Brad,
When you get hide (face)inside out use your fingers on the
hand not cutting as a guide.
Basically you will be cutting into your finger, but not
really. It has been my experience that you will suffer
some cuts at first but the more comfortable you get the less
this should happen.
I don't know what method you are using on your eyes, but I
noticed you did not mention, so if what you are doing there
is working for you, then you should'nt have a problem with
the nose and lips.
Remember, a large part of the art is the repair work you
are able to do, because it will not always be your mistake
you are fixing.
Good Luck
John

Splitting

This response submitted by Craig on 11/18/99. ( CRtracker@aol.com ) 24.92.226.144

I agree with John. Use your finger and apply light pressure to the front side of the skin. This way very little pressure is needed to cut the inner lip meat. Experience is the best teacher here unless you can have someone actually show you. The nose septum is actually cut off before the splitting then use your finger in each nostril as described. I do all of my splitting and ear turning with a scalpal as a sharp instrument is best.
You didn't mention the eyelids but they also need to be turned to the edge. As you are cutting with slight pressure from your finger you will begin to see a line of little yellowish-white fat glands around each eyelid, top and bottom. These need to be cut into and removed. If not done you will experience excessive shrinkage around the eye. One rule of thumb...If you can pull on both sides of the split skin and it is flat you have done it correctly.
This may sound like a lot of work but these details are what makes the difference between your work and the next guy down the block.

Return to Category Menu