HAIR SLIPAGE

Submitted by ALLAN STOCKERT on 12/1/99. ( ) 206.187.26.218

HI. I AM NEW TO TAXIDERMY AND HAVE ALOT TO LEARN. I HAVE TWO WHITETAIL BUCK HEADS THAT WERE GIVEN TO ME . UPON CAPEING THEME OUT I NOTICED THAT THE HAIR PULLED OUT VERY EASEY. THERE WAS NO OFFENSIVE ODER.IFROZE THE CAPES FOR FUTURE FLESHING. WILL I HAVE A HAIR SLIPAGE PROBLEM WITH THESE CAPES? WHAT IS THE BEST THING FOR ME TO DO WITH THEM?

Return to Category Menu

hair

This response submitted by Frank on 12/1/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 205.188.208.5

Sure sounds like bad hides already. Where are they slipping from?
If the whole hide slips you just as well get rid off them. The people that gave you them handled the deer poorly-( Heat ) You could try to flesh them lightly and salt them for 24 hrs then shake off and resalt for 24 more. Then let them dry. This may aid in setting most of the hair but no guarantees. You can try stop slip and other products out there but who knows how the hides were handled.

ALL OVER

This response submitted by ALLAN on 12/2/99. ( ) 206.187.26.191

THE HAIR ON THE HIDES WAS EASEY TO PULL OUT ALL OVER. OUR FIRST DEER SEASON WAS WARM AND DRY DAYTIME TEMPS. WERE IN THE 60 DEGREE RANGE AND THE NIGHTTIME TEMPS. WERE IN THE 50S. THE DEER HUNG OUTSIDE FOR 3 DAYS.

chuck it

This response submitted by Frank on 12/2/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 171.214.218.70

I say chuck it and get some more.

Chuck it and then some...

This response submitted by Marc on 12/5/99. ( CapeFearTaxidrmy@aol.com ) 205.188.208.5

Allan,if the deer hung outside for three days in 60 degrees,I would highly recommend that you politely decline any dinner invitations they may give you regarding those deer....just a suggestion though Good Luck. Marc

Return to Category Menu