Ticks?

Submitted by Jason on 11/23/99. ( ) 206.150.106.29

Just received a white-tailed deer cape that was crawling with ticks. I put it in the freezer hoping that the ticks will die. Any advice for future encounters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

bag it

This response submitted by Frank on 11/23/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 152.163.189.195

You can bag it and spray some insectiside in it. Or let the creatures die out. In about three days those little criters will die of. They need wram blood to live. So as long as you don't get any on you they will all die.

uh oh

This response submitted by deer woman on 11/23/99. ( ) 205.188.209.40

NO NO NO- ticks do not just die after 3 days! They crawl off and look for something else to suck on, like you! Ticks can live quite a long time without their blood meal. I once put a common wood tick in a sealed see through film canister for a week- it did not suffocate nor die on me. I've also had ticks crawl off skins and just hang around ( of course if i see them i kill them). Go with the bug killer in the plastic bag thing, or just freeze the whole dang head/skin in a good low temp freezer ( -10 F) for 3 or 4 days. I have never had a problem with ticks on the skin after freezing for 3-4 days like this. a caution about spraying bug killer in a bag- do not do this if the neck still has enough ( fresher)meat in it that you are considering saving it to feed to dogs! You wouldn't want to risk poisoning the dog(s). Personally i have taken to reserving freezer space enough to stick at least 3 deer heads unskinned with cape, to kill those damn ticks, as my region seems to have a slight problem with the stupid little discusting deer ticks!( can't even walk in the wood 5 feet without getting one on yourself).

Return to Category Menu