Salted Hide Doesn't Freeze?

Submitted by Gregg on 11/24/99. ( ) 164.159.244.205

I recently read a message asking about what to do with a deer head posted by BOB on 11/23. One response was by Pacemaker (11/24) and he said that "salted hide doesn't freeze". I was just given 2 mule deer to mount. They were both caped of the shoulder, but not off the head. The guys salted the hide back by the shoulder and up the neck to within 3" of the ears. I skinned out the remainder of the head and neck and threw the hides in the freezer. I don't plan on getting to them until probably January. Will there be a problem with the salted neck/shoulder portion of the hide (i.e., will it not freeze and be ruined after this extended period)? Thanks for any input.

Return to Category Menu

RE-SALTED

This response submitted by LARRY , GOLD LEAF TAXIDERMY on 11/24/99. ( llkohn@tucker-usa.com ) 205.198.244.115

I've had plenty of hides salted and then frozen and never had a problem with any of them in 18 years.

0 degrees

This response submitted by steve on 11/24/99. ( estxx75@aol.com ) 209.241.117.47

NUMBER 1 SALT KILLS BACTERIA, NUMBER 2 BACTERIA DOSENT
GROW IN SUB-ZERO TEMPS, NO PROBLEM

Salt and bacteria

This response submitted by Todd on 12/5/99. ( trigger@indy .net ) 209.183.87.102

Steve is correct about the bacteria not growing in sub-zero temps.
but salt will not kill all of bacteria. Some bacteria will actually
grow and thrive in salt. That is why it is important to not reuse
old salt in tanning.

Todd

Return to Category Menu