Thawing a deer?

Submitted by chris on 12/8/99. ( cshicks@hiwaay.net ) 208.166.127.95

I have several deer in the freezer that are raw frozen. I plan to flesh the capes this weekend, and I was wondering if I need any special precautions to prevent slippage while they are thawing? And If anyone can give me a guess on about how long it might take before the capes will be workable (unfrozen). thanks

Return to Category Menu

Unthawing capes

This response submitted by Brent Gorman - Dirty Creek Taxidermy & Tannery on 12/8/99. ( ) 205.240.72.168

Hi, we own a tannery and our process is to place the frozen hides in a ice box to unthaw for 3 days. Have any other questions give us a call @ (918)989-5465. Good luck, Brent

Brent UNTHAW?

This response submitted by John C on 12/9/99. ( ) 204.180.103.70

thaw maybe,

unthaw is to freeze.

FROZEN CAPES

This response submitted by CRITTER on 12/9/99. ( crttrs99@palacenet.net ) 207.112.213.18

I freeze all of my capes as I get them in. First don't take out any more than you know you can handle at one time. The way I do mine is to remove them from the bag/tube and as they THAW work them open so they THAW more even and quicker. When I put them in the tube I try to place them in so as to be able to get to the snout first and then hang them that way as they THAW. If you take them out first thing in the morning and go back every hour or so they'll be ready in the afternoon.
Just my way of doing it because it never fails something will come up if you don't do it right away!
CRITTER

Response to John C.

This response submitted by Brent Gorman - Dirty Creek Taxidermy & Tanning on 12/9/99. ( ) 205.240.72.168

Sorry, for the lack of proper grammer. I meant THAW. It was late when i entered my suggestions. AND as far as DOUG : The process i described works well for me. It just seems to work well for us to place the FROZEN capes (still in the bag) in the ice box to THAW for approximately 3 days. If you want a quick thaw the above comment is good. Thanks, Brent Gorman

Simple

This response submitted by Jeff on 12/15/99. ( ) 216.61.104.228

Take the capes out the night before you plan on fleshing them.
I place them in the sink so there is no drainage to clean up.
That easy!

Return to Category Menu