Supply CO. DONT HAVE A manikin FOR my DEER? Please Help!!!

Submitted by Charlie on 12/13/99. ( ) 63.24.54.48

wolfman65@worldnet.att.net

Ok first things first. I just shot a deer(Whitetail Buck). Now I've done some fish taxidermy(About three years worth) but never a deer yet. I took the standard measurements. The measurement from tip of nose to front of eye is 7". The measurement from around the Neck(base of skull) is only 14 3/4". Measured about 3" below the first neck measurement it was 15". Now its clear this deer was not in rut because of no swelling. I Can't find a manikin to fit this bucks measurements?(Can I use a Doe manikin, Can you cut an antler base on a manikin)If I have too. But I would like to have some swelling on this deer. Could any one recommend what size manikin I should go with.(Dont want him to look like super deer)Is it possible to strech it a few extra inches to achieve this look, If so any recommdetion. How far can you strech a hide before damageing it. Please respond. Thanks Charlie

Return to Category Menu

Check out this one!

This response submitted by Gary on 12/13/99. ( ) 204.26.117.1

I know John Rinehart has necks as small as 13" I don't know if he has
a web site but you can email him and have them send you out a catalog.
hope this helps. Or surf the web of taxidermy supply companies I'm sure you'll find some.

Try Joe Coombes

This response submitted by Kenneth on 12/13/99. ( bauman@caddoelectric,net ) 206.103.97.185

Joe Coombes has some small deer. You may have to lengthen the eye to nose measurement. Good Luck

IN AND OUT

This response submitted by CRITTER on 12/13/99. ( CRTTRS99@PALACE.NET ) 207.112.212.156

CHARLIE, I assume the measurements are those taken off the animal and not the skin.
As arule if the meat measurement of the neck was 14 then it should only be put on a 14-15 form. Follow nature, too many people try to mount a deer on a STRETCHED skin measurement. If you do this two things will happen, first you will fit it and not be able to TAXI the skin and second the seam will open up as the moisture leaves the skin.
Order the form by the neck size and either purchase a change out head of the proper size or modify the existing. I prefer to use Research, or McKenzie's forms.
Not an easiy one to start with, good luck.

GIVE BUCKEYE MANNIKINS A CALL

This response submitted by HEATH on 12/13/99. ( ccline@valkyrie.net ) 216.28.209.252

Charlie,
Give Buckeye Mannikins a call. They have a 7" x 15" that will work for you and a couple others I think that will work also

I thank you all for the imput!

This response submitted by Charlie on 12/13/99. ( wolfman65@worldnet.att.net ) 63.24.29.165

I've tried all of the above Joe Coombes, John Rinehart, Dan Rinehart, WASCO, All the manikins are for monster size animals. However I didnt try Buckeye Mannikins. Being this is my first deer, I would like to get the manikin as close as possible. But if it comes down to it, I will do what it takes to complete this Mount. Thanks again for all the answers. Chuck

This Is Why I Said What I Did, Previosly

This response submitted by Lianne on 12/14/99. ( deerodeer@worldnet.att.net ) 12.67.16.131

Charlie,
7x14 3/4, that is a pretty big head for the neck size. That is why I am suggesting that you measure the tanned skin. I have measured very fresh dead deer and got different measurements after time had passed. I don't pretend to know all the physiology, but I would guess that as the muscles begin to rigor they reduce in size, loss of fluid, hanging with it's neck stretched, etc. all have an effect on size. Late season bucks have also lost weight, giving them more skin than what it appears. The skin won't lie to you. Stretch the tanned skin all the way down the neck before you measure, not just at the throat, so that you don't "borrow" size from farther down. Lay it out and measure without stretching it tight. Dime to a dollar, you will find you have a deer with more normal proportions than what it seems right now. Brent's suggested form size will probably be pretty darm close. With a good tan, well oiled, well relaxed, shrink will be very minimal. Don't panic yet, you're doing just fine.

McKenzie 6000

This response submitted by Perry on 12/14/99. ( pgk@ncentral.com ) 128.118.19.152

McKenzie offers that size in their 6000 series. you may need a change
out head...

One More Thought

This response submitted by Lianne on 12/14/99. ( deerodeer@worldnet.att.net ) 12.67.16.131

charlie,
I sure don't mean to suggest that you can make your deer bigger than what he actually was, no. Just that measurements can sometimes be deceiving on dead deer. You may really have a big head/little neck.(The deer of course!) Good Luck.

Can't find a mannikin

This response submitted by Larry on 12/14/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

Try Research Mannikins. They have a large selction of w/t mannikins. Ask to talk to Mark. He's always been of great help to me over the years. Talk to an "expert" at any of the other supply companies mentioned by those who responded to your question. If you'd like a copy of our catalog, visit our web site at www.hidebeak.com (guestbook), or call 1-800-777-7916, Mon-Fri, 9-5 CDST. Happy Holidays!

Manikin Size

This response submitted by RT on 12/22/99. ( ) 208.33.69.252

I take my neck measurement before I cape out the Deer and It allways, works for me.

Return to Category Menu