Broken tines

Submitted by Paul Batchelder on 12/14/99. ( pbatch1@hotmail.com ) 63.27.245.95

My son and I are just starting to work on two skull mounts, our intro into taxidermy. Both racks have broken tines. i have read some of the postings but we are beginers and need basic information and advice for the repairs.

Return to Category Menu

In the archives is as basic as you can get.

This response submitted by John C on 12/14/99. ( ) 204.180.103.156

No really those steps cover in the previous post are as basic as you can get. There are steps with epoxiees and wire there as well as molding and casting a tine. JC

test

This response submitted by ken on 12/14/99. ( ) 209.86.75.164

test

Broken tines

This response submitted by Larry on 12/14/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

Epoxy modeling compounds like Magic Sculp or Apoxy Sculpt are my choice for repairing antlers, i.e., filling holes or creating missing tines. These two-part compounds are mixed 50-50, and can be modeled and sculpted like clay. Most suppliers carry them. If you need to create a tine, drill a closed end hole in the appropriate place on the antler, insert and glue in a twisted wire for an armature, then model over it. You can do the latter in stages if you have to, which is probably best if the tine(s) is a big one. After the epoxy cures, match the colors with paint or stains. Check the archives as previously suggested. If you'd like a copy of our catalog, visit our web site at www.hidebeak.com (guest book), or call 1-800-777-7916,Mon-Fri, 9-5 CDST. Happy Holidays!

Return to Category Menu