saving bleached antlers?????????

Submitted by steve on 12/14/99. ( _steve282@excite.com ) 204.211.224.12

I have aquired a whitetail rack that has bleached out. the antlers are still hard and smooth and have not turned chalky yet. the are a few tiny hairline cracks on one main beam that you really have to look for. Is there any way to recondition them? or recolor them? I know you can stain them but was not sure of the proccess. I'm sure you guy's have covered it in the past but... I've looked and can't find it. I think John B told how but can not remember when or how. Any help is appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

AAARRRCCCHHHIIIVVVEEESSS (Archives)

This response submitted by . on 12/14/99. ( . ) 152.163.188.161

You didnt look hard enough. IF john B answered it, its still in the archives.

What I'd try...

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 12/14/99. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.197.12

If you lightly use Apoxie Sculpt, or Magic Sculpt, put on the antlers, thinned with water and rubbed in with your finger into the cracks until it's smooth. Then it can be stained with an antler stain.

Smooth out

This response submitted by Craig on 12/16/99. ( CRtracker@aol.com ) 24.92.226.142

I once received a bleached out old rack that had been hanging on a porch for 10 or so years. Being new to the trade, before the internet, I was somewhat at a loss. I experimented with the epoxy called Smooth-Out, applying a thin coat with my fingers and rubbing it in with water. No paint or stain needed. I look at this rack even today and can't see the difference from a fresh one.
I've tried stains and in my opinion they are too brown.

Return to Category Menu